Can I save a really damaged soaker hose?

momamamoApril 26, 2008

I inherited a truly damaged soaker hose from my elderly neighbor. There are many badly bent sections throughout and I'm wondering if electrical tape can save it. There are also a few places where the rubber is actually split. Does anyone have experience with this kind of extreme repair? Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I doubt if it would be worth it. I had a several new ones, never used, but stored in a freezing shed over the winter, and the bent places sometimes snapped when I attempted to repair them. I had a bit better luck after leaving them in the hot sun.

If you try it I suggest setting it in the hot sun for a few hours before attempting any repair.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 11:34AM
davidandkasie(Z8 MS)

lay it out inthe hot sun, don't force it, but try to get it fairly straight. after an hour or so, pull it and it should straighten right up.

for the splits, i just cut it and splice back together. i found out last year that 1/2" EMT, metal electrical conduit, fits perfectly in a pinch. i had some laying around and used it to repair my hose until i could get a proper splice kit. i usually keep several male and female end around for jsut such a thing, but had run out. the nice thing about using the end is you can custom make the hose to the length you need.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 10:27AM
momamamo

Thanks, guys! I think I'll try splicing the hose and see what I end up with. I really don't want to buy a hose if I can avoid it. Maureen

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 3:59PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

REPLACE

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
How do you get the gardening information that you need?
Hi everyone! I'm new to gardenweb, Houzz, whatever...but...
tanya117
New Gardener with three raised beds
I just created 3 raised beds but do not have anything...
Redwigglerwarrior
Need help for my ZZ plant
My ZZ(Zamioculcas zamiifolia) plant has been re-potted...
eleonordecruz
black little ants indoor - how to get rid of them?
Hi all, We spend 30' each morning getting rid of ants...
ptien
retaining wall planter...need help
I have a slope about 11ft deep by 5ft high. I'm planning...
jeffboyardeee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™