Auger for Soil Profile?

blp0May 4, 2009

Hello! I have a slight predicament. My friends garden has a layer of clay about half a foot away from the surface of the ground. This aquatard is causing the surface soil to saturate completely with very light rainfall and snowmelt. I'd like to figure out how deep this layer of clay is before any action is taken in order to re-profile the soil. In order to do this, I need some sort of a tool to provide me a rough estimation of the depth of this aquatard. How do you suggest I go about this? Have any of you tried to use an auger? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance :D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Try the old fashion shovel. A soil auger will be expensive and very difficult to penetrate clay especially if it is dry.

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 10:25PM
gemfire(z9/10 AZ)

Does he have clay or caliche? Caliche gets very hard and won't let water penetrate. I bought the awesome auger, works with a drill and I use it to dig holes when planting even when I'm at a spot the ground is not hard. It might be just what you're looking for.

https://www.awesomeaugers.com

Gemfire

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 9:49PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I've an auger bit that - I know it was cheap because I am - that fits into a battery powered electric drill. It is about two inches in diameter and will drill to about 14-16 inches deep.

I've no idea what the thing was originally designed for, not the garden I'm sure as it was purchased at a hardware store in small town Nevada where nothing much grows because the town is on an ancient lake bed and everything is alkali.

I used it to drill holes through the calichi so the raised beds would drain if over watered.

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 10:25AM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Post hole digger

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Best Android gardening and planning app?
Hello all! I've been searching for the perfect app...
magnoliasouth
Natural insect killer.
I'm just starting to use diatomaceous earth, which...
rredbbeard
Alpine Strawberries
This will be my first year planting strawberries from...
vinylapple
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, We are trying to figure out ways to add curb appeal...
aligal266
How do you get the gardening information that you need?
Hi everyone! I'm new to gardenweb, Houzz, whatever...but...
tanya117
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™