Getting birds not to build in my hanging baskets

jdunham(Ohio)May 4, 2006

Help...I just bought beautiful baskets of Million Bells and the morning doves are eyeing them as a future home. What can I do? I was considering moth balls...will those chemicals hurts my plants?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brighteyes(7)

I think the the chemicals in moth balls will leach out and kill the plants. Dont know for sure.

If you do find a way please let me know! I always have birds in my baskets. I do leave them though the kids love them.

carey

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 11:14PM
flyguy(6)

GO TO THE LOCAL DOLLAR STORE AND BUY A FEW RUBBER SNAKES TO PUT IN THE POTS. IT WORKS FOR CHERRY TREES, BUT AGAIN, IT MIGHT KEEP YOUR FRIENDS AWAY ALSO.
DALE

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 11:18PM
cypss522

Put lots of tooth picks all over in the baskets. When the birds try to land they are surprised by the picks and dont build nests. Use lots of toothpicks and its cheap.

Bookmark   May 17, 2006 at 11:06PM
cateyanne(zone 5/6 Northern Ohio)

Hi! I posted this in an area that was asking how to keep dogs from lying in flower beds, but originaly I did it to keep the morning doves out of my hanging baskets. They are a pretty, but very stubborn bird when it comes to getting them to stay away from your baskets. They do not scare easily if at all. I finally tried this, after trying unsuccessfully to get rid of them for years and have not had a problem since. Buy bamboo skewers (like the kind you use for shish-ka-bobs) cut to length for whatever type of flowers are in your baskets, so the skewers don't show. Space them close enough together so the bird cannot sit it's plump derrier in the basket to nest. You won't even have one of them try it, they seem to see the stakes and realize FINALLY! that this is not a place for them. Good Luck.

Bookmark   September 26, 2006 at 12:28PM
trowelgal(Kansas Zone 5)

I use plastic forks, tines up and handle in the soil. The birds won't sit on them to nest and the plants soon hide them. Can be used year to year so they are frugal.
Tina

Bookmark   October 15, 2006 at 10:30PM
More Discussions
why do seeds that are already covered with dirt have to be germin
This is more one of those, "But...WHY?" types...
conjuay
Best Android gardening and planning app?
Hello all! I've been searching for the perfect app...
magnoliasouth
Alpine Strawberries
This will be my first year planting strawberries from...
vinylapple
changing user name
How does a member change his user name?
eldo1960
retaining wall planter...need help
I have a slope about 11ft deep by 5ft high. I'm planning...
jeffboyardeee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™