Considering a greenhouse in the basement

pbl_ge(5/6)February 9, 2014

Hi All,

We recently moved to the snowy north for the first time in my life, and we're trying to figure out ways to extend the growing season. One of the things we're considering is building some kind of greenhouse in the basement. Can anyone recommend good how-to resources for this? I see all kinds of websites, but I can't distinguish the crackpot from the genius.

Our initial ideas are fairly uneducated, but we're thinking of something on the large side, perhaps 6' x 8' with space for bringing in big pots as well as shelving for starts.

Any help to get us started planning is appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CanadianLori(6a Oakville)

I see no one else has responded so I'll put in my two cents worth and that is probably it's total value!

I would think that setting up good lighting would be the most important factor. You already have the other climate controls being indoors so just providing faux sunlight would be optimum.

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 7:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poaky1

I think that it's a good idea for starting some plants early. I think you will need lots of strong grow lights of different spectrums, unless you have enough natural light for it. If I were going to grow indoors with fake light I would make the walls reflective.

Bookmark   February 20, 2014 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Big Buddy LP Heater installation
A few days ago I installed a Big Buddy heater in my...
Hans P. Gruetzenbach
Solar Pool Covers Work Well!
Thanks to cactusfreak's advice, I put a solar pool...
consultant
Idea for heat sink/exchanger
Ok so this may be a little bit of a wacky idea but...
goldenz5
Glass 'Greenhouse' in South?
Someday, I want to have a glass greenhouse/potting...
alikat33
Backyard boardwalk
The side of my house is planted with rows of tropical...
gnappi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™