Transplanting

kaymcd(z5/NY)May 19, 2004

My neighbor just told me he wants to put in a black top drive and will be taking out the hedges etc between our houses. My lilac have just finished blooming . I want to move the lilac bush. Should I cut it back first, and if so how much before moving it?

Also I have to move irises just staring to bloom, can I move them now?

and also I have day lilies that need to be moved. Will they survive transplating now, the leaves are up but no flowers yet?

Any help would be appreciated

Kay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

It sounds like you're going to HAVE to move them, so just do the best you can. No matter how careful you are, moving a plant puts a lot of stress on the plant, so you probably should cut off the flower buds on the irises (as flowers take a lot of energy from the plant). The daylilies may or may not bloom - I did a wholesale moving of my daylilies last year, and I got a couple of blooms from each plant, not the usual many, so figure that that will probably happen. As for the lilac, I would think that cutting off the old flowers so they don't set seed would be enough; it would depend on how old and how big the bush is.I recommend that you check over on the Shrub forum about the lilac.
I also recommend that you get them all back into the ground as soon as possible after you dig them up, especially the lilac - have the hole ready beforehand, if at all possible.

Good luck with the move.

Joan

Bookmark   May 20, 2004 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Ideas for tall screening plants in shade
I was hoping to find some suggestions for a good screening...
Barrato
Best Android gardening and planning app?
Hello all! I've been searching for the perfect app...
magnoliasouth
changing user name
How does a member change his user name?
eldo1960
New to raised beds please help.
I just moved to a new location where the ground is...
sfargo73
Natural insect killer.
I'm just starting to use diatomaceous earth, which...
rredbbeard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™