'Nick' a seed

Kenpooro(z5ME)May 16, 2004

What does it mean to nick seeds before soaking them overnite, I am planting some Morning Glories and Sweet Peas for a trellis and the Morning Glories said to do this...is it just to break thru the hard shell of the seed so moisture can get in? If so I'm glad I only had a few.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mamaspud(z6KS)

I am new to gardening and to this site. That is a question I have, too. Looking forward to reading the answer.

Bookmark   May 16, 2004 at 11:45PM
moogies(z8, D/FW Texas)

Ycan use nail clippers to barely pinch through an edge of the seed - or you can use an emery board to sand it - just enough to break through the hard casing on the seed.

I used to nick the seeds of morning glories but switched to this method:

Wet a double-layer paper towel and sprinkle your seeds on half. Fold over to cover the seeds and slip inside a zip-lock bag. Let sit overnight or a couple of days and check. When you see the seeds beginning to open, just plant at the proper depth and water in well.

Bookmark   May 17, 2004 at 7:20AM
grittymitts(7/8)

I just drop the seeds in a short container, put a couple of inches of hot water over 'em. When the water cools put them in a small zip lock bag for a few days.

I forgot a bag of 'em & when I spotted them in the potting shed they looked awful! Some had small sprouts & water was nearly black & kinda' slimey looking, but since I had on gloves I planted them anyway. Best plants I've ever had & they are blooming already.

Bookmark   May 21, 2004 at 8:09PM
Blondmyk

I'm still very confused about this. When one "Nicks" a seed, how deep should you go? Just the casing, or if you nick too far will it kill the seed? On Brugmansia seeds, they have a cork outer covering. Should I just nick the seed or remove the whole cork covering?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 4:46PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Go to Google and click on ''more'', usually up at the top and then find ''video'' and enter ~ methods of scarification of seed ~ .

If you just want to read about it just go to Google and search ~ methods of scarification of seed ~. One ghit Scarification is brief and not to academic.

As for how much to snip you might play with some pinto or brown beans from the supermarket.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
Need to kill a huge pine tree
Can someone please let me know how I can kill a huge...
ross-07
What are Hashtags used for in Twitter
witter is one of the social networking sites which...
hemanth.cloud
mango seed
I decided to plant a mango seed. After I cracked the...
nour_lb
why do seeds that are already covered with dirt have to be germin
This is more one of those, "But...WHY?" types...
conjuay
How do you get the gardening information that you need?
Hi everyone! I'm new to gardenweb, Houzz, whatever...but...
tanya117
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™