Transplanting a Mature Wisteria

gardening_michy(z8 Port OR)June 26, 2008

I have two Wisteria that are at least 5 - 7 years old. I have trained them straight up a steel pipe so they have a straight (twining/winding) trunk up to about 12 feet then they are allowed to branch out. I remove all leaves up to the 12 foot mark. We are building a patio cover and at least one of them has to move. I'm terribly worried they will not survive as I have read that Wisteria does not transplant well. Does anyone have any experience transplanting a fairly big Wisteria that turned out well? How big of a root ball do I need to take? I know I need to make it as big at I can - but how big is that? My husband and I will need to handle the move - maybe we can get a little help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie(Z8 MS)

if you REALLY want to save it call a tree service. they have a tractor with a scoop that clamps around the plant, then scoops out a big root ball. my parents had several trees moved when they put in a pool and the tree service did it in no time flat. i have no clue what it costs, but if the price is fairly reasonable it may be worth it to try and get the money budgeted.

keep in mind that the roots will be huge on this thing. i have no idea if wisteria runs deep or wide or both, but no matter what they will be about the same mass as the above ground portion of the vine!

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 12:34AM
More Discussions
Need help with my jalapeño plants
I have jalapeño plants growing in large containers....
geotrin69
Need help for my ZZ plant
My ZZ(Zamioculcas zamiifolia) plant has been re-potted...
eleonordecruz
Need to kill a huge pine tree
Can someone please let me know how I can kill a huge...
ross-07
Need help with Alocasia Giant Borneo
Hello I am new to the forums so I hope someone can...
JoseVe
New Gardener with three raised beds
I just created 3 raised beds but do not have anything...
Redwigglerwarrior
Sponsored Products
SoHo Sign Art Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™