Transplanting Bleeding Hearts

Deb__H(Z6)June 19, 2005

I have a HUGE Bleeding Heart plant that I want to move. It's at a spot that: 1. Has potential to be squashed by a basketball when the boys are playing. and 2. I will be replacing the retaining wall and it is growing right next to it. My question is, when is the best time to transplant it? Does the fact that it's huge mean that it can be separated or is it just one big plant? It's all done blooming for this year and starting to turn yellow. By the hot weather, it practically goes away.

Deb in PA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albertar(z7 LINY)

Deb
Hi, what I would do is trim off all the yellowing foliage, then have the hole that you want to move it to dug in advance, then dig it up, and transplant it. They are really very hardy and should come back for you next spring without any problems. I've done this in the past, and it works well.
Alberta

Bookmark   June 20, 2005 at 9:41PM
eggiesmom(z5a Ottawa ON)

Hi! I very easily separated and transplanted mine. I did so in June last year, spaded it down the center and it kinda yellowed and wilted some but came back this year as strong as ever. In fact it still came up at my old place where I had dug it out! (Get all the roots!)

Bookmark   June 21, 2005 at 5:18PM
shalyca_yahoo_com

Can bleeding hearts be transplanted and divided now and what special things should I do to give it a new start?

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
why do seeds that are already covered with dirt have to be germin
This is more one of those, "But...WHY?" types...
conjuay
mango seed
I decided to plant a mango seed. After I cracked the...
nour_lb
black little ants indoor - how to get rid of them?
Hi all, We spend 30' each morning getting rid of ants...
ptien
Need help for my ZZ plant
My ZZ(Zamioculcas zamiifolia) plant has been re-potted...
eleonordecruz
First Aid for young "fallen" coleus
I am a beginner gardener. Several weeks ago I started...
Ralph Thayer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™