Caring for newly planted garden

laowaiJune 15, 2014

I just did some rearranging in my garden where I moved a Japanese Berberry and planted new lavender, sedum, milkweed and hydrangea. What should I do if anything to help these newly placed plants grow? Not sure if I need to water at a different frequency or so anything special. Thanks for any tips. I'm in a zone 6 environment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

Lavender, sedum, & milkweed are low-water plants, but hydrangeas' common name is "water-sucking sponge"!

If they're in the same area, just be sure to give the hydrangea enough water without drowning the others.

While they're new, I'd water them a bit more, to be sure that the plant gets enough water even though its roots have been disturbed, but pay attention to the moisture in the soil;
if it's dry about 1" down, you can water a little, but don't water wet soil or your plants will drown.

When you see new growth, cut back to 'regular' watering.

If you were here in Texas, I'd say to watch them for heat stress & be prepared to put a shade cloth over them or just pile some of last year's autumn leaves over them until they adjust, but I don't know what your sun & heat are like, so use your powers of observation, & maybe check with some local garden clubs for expertise.

Your plants sound beautiful, & I hope you enjoy them for a long time to come!

Bookmark   June 19, 2014 at 12:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laowai

Thanks for the tips!

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 5:22PM
More Discussions
What are Hashtags used for in Twitter
witter is one of the social networking sites which...
hemanth.cloud
Need help with my jalapeño plants
I have jalapeño plants growing in large containers....
geotrin69
New to raised beds please help.
I just moved to a new location where the ground is...
sfargo73
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, We are trying to figure out ways to add curb appeal...
aligal266
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™