easiest & quick way & useful tools to dig holes

chueh(7B)July 11, 2008

I have Georgia red rock-hard clay soil. I always have a hard time digging the ground by using a pointed shovel. I am going to plant a lot of trees and shrubs. Can anyone suggest any good tools to use, so my palms don't get swollen? What tools do you usually use to dig holes with? I am looking for easiest, quick, and less elbow grease ways. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
witeowl(5)

There may be easier ways to do it, and we don't exactly have clay soil, but we found a good old fashioned pickaxe to do just fine in preparing our rocky, hard, dense sandy soil to be moved or removed by shovel.

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 6:02PM
popcornhill

Get you a five or six foot crowbar. You know...the kind with a point at one end and a round knob at the other end. You can get it a Home Depot or Lowes. It's heavy and it does a great job of breaking up the dirt so you can get it out with the post hole diggers or shovel. It also keeps you in good shape. Good luck...DT

Bookmark   July 11, 2008 at 8:58PM
tdscpa(z5 NWKS)

Gas powered auger/post hole digger.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 4:50AM
davidandkasie(Z8 MS)

in our rock hard clay i have foudn the easiest way is to run a soaker hose in the area for a couple days before you plan on digging by hand. just turn it on low and let it run. then the day before turn it off. next day the soil is dry enough not to be a mud hole, but damp enough to dig easily. it may take a few times to get the flow right, too much water and you have a muddy mess and not enough and you wasted the water. the trick is to do it slow enough that it does not run off.

toolwise, i use a pick axe, a shovel and an old post hole digger. my PHD is not the squeeze type, it is an auger that you turn to dig the hole. it has a T-handle on it and you just spin it down. when we put up a fence at work several holes had to be hand dug due to proximity to underground utilities. i could dig 2 holes to 1 against the guys using the squeeze type PDH.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 1:11PM
More Discussions
Alpine Strawberries
This will be my first year planting strawberries from...
vinylapple
Need to kill a huge pine tree
Can someone please let me know how I can kill a huge...
ross-07
barrier for plants with invasive roots
What have you used in the ground to prevent invasive...
taterbug
black little ants indoor - how to get rid of them?
Hi all, We spend 30' each morning getting rid of ants...
ptien
First Aid for young "fallen" coleus
I am a beginner gardener. Several weeks ago I started...
Ralph Thayer
Sponsored Products
Steam Spa Indulgence Package for Steam Spa 7.5kW Steam Generators in Brushed Nic
Beyond Stores
Shaker Slope Chair in Cream
| Dot & Bo
Bulova Olympia Alarm Clock - B6886
$105.00 | Hayneedle
Patio Living Concepts Lamps Catalina 34 in. Outdoor Bronze Table Lamp with
Home Depot
Faucets Antique Copper 7" Waterfall Faucet Dark Blue Disk
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
11' Round Side Mount Umbrella Full Cover
$219.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for: