Saving Male Pollen for later use?

jonibJuly 30, 2007

I am wondering if there was a way to freeze or freeze dry the male pollan for a later batch of squash. I have noticed that I am getting so far all females and because no males have come in yet I am losing them because they can't be pollinated by a male.

So if I can save the male flower or just the pollen safely then when I start a new plant of squash if I only get females at first I have my pollen on hand to get started with.

Do you think it is possible, and if so which way would be the best so that the pollen is not destroyed in any way.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Pollen can be frozen very well....but all squash plants carry both male and female blossoms...bees and other bugs do the polination. The female flower is the one with the baby squash at the base and for that to develop it needs to be pollinated by the male flower....the one without the little baby squash at the base of the bloom.
Unless you have been aggressivly spraying poision all over your garden, you need to do nothing to get squash, but wait and water.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
New Gardener with three raised beds
I just created 3 raised beds but do not have anything...
Redwigglerwarrior
mango seed
I decided to plant a mango seed. After I cracked the...
nour_lb
What is your favorite wall-mounted hose holder?
My front yard hose goes on the wall right next to the...
zagyzebra
Best Android gardening and planning app?
Hello all! I've been searching for the perfect app...
magnoliasouth
Make your own Seed Tape
Something to do on a cold Feb. day make your own seed...
oldgardenguy_zone6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™