Bats in Attic Solution!!!!

michman(5Mich)July 29, 2006

My parents have had bats in their walk-in attic for decades, with little success at ridding them. They have had several "experts" over to offer their solution, and take their money, but the bats invariably returned. Today I went over there to visit, and Dad told me how he thinks he may have found a way to deal with them. It may seem inhumane to some, but certainly not to my Mom and Dad. Although they love having birds, rabbits and other wildlife come to their backyard, their attic is off limits, so anything goes. What he did is this: He tacked up to the roof boards/sheathing/joist about 24 strips of fly paper, spaced about a 18"-24" apart, near an area where they have found bat guano. You should secure the flypaper with a short screw and washer. Dad said he has removed 3 bats in the last week, with no signs of any more. Of course, you must remove anything nearby you don't want the flypaper to come into contact with, as the bats may not drop straight down, if you know what I mean. I hope this tip will save some of you some money and grief. Post back if you have success with this technique...MichMan.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

Clever - a variation on the glue boards for mice.

I can understand where some people might think it inhumane, but when it comes to critters in the attic, I certainly understand ... I'm wondering if some version of this would work for squirrels! So far nothing has worked to keep them out; they even chewed through cedar shakes and wood sheathing and literally bent metal sheathing away to get inside. Once inside, they've not only chewed up things in storage, but also chewed away the insulation off some electric wiring.

We love wildlife too, and I'll even share a bit of the garden with them ... but destruction of the house is too much. Thanks for sharing and I hope the method you've reported continues to be an effective remedy for your parents.

Diane

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 9:15PM
michman(5Mich)

Diane, I have heard of hanging glue boards up for bats. One fellow duct taped them back-to-back, and hung them in his attic, with much success. One would think it would be less "messy" than the flypaper technique.
Squirrels can be a big problem also. A co-worker had major problems with them. I'll ask him how he got rid of them. I hope you have been able to stop the infiltration of those roof rats, and keep them happy with the bird feeders. Serge.

Bookmark   August 5, 2006 at 9:35PM
batsnorthwest_gmail_com

Please, please, please do not do this. There are techniques for safely excluding bats from your house that can be found on the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife page: http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/bats.html . Fly paper will kill these long-lived beneficial animals. Bats can eat up to 600-1,000 mosquitoes in an hour and can live for over 30 years. They are not rodents and only have one to two young per year meaning that every bat is important.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 4:35PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Bats are a protected species in many states, Michigan amongst them.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 10:59PM
mibatcontrol_gmail_com

If you have bats in the attic, there are no poisons, repellents, or traps you can set to get rid of the bats in the attic. All bats have to be excluded through a one way door. Also the rest of the home should be bat proofed. Al openings 3/8" or larger should be sealed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Michigan Bat Control

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 7:26PM
conntaxman

If you want to get rid of squirrels in the atic, set RAt traps with peanut butter.Tie a wire to the rat trap so that it will stay in that one spot when you go to get it.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
barrier for plants with invasive roots
What have you used in the ground to prevent invasive...
taterbug
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, We are trying to figure out ways to add curb appeal...
aligal266
changing user name
How does a member change his user name?
eldo1960
Need to kill a huge pine tree
Can someone please let me know how I can kill a huge...
ross-07
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™