new raised garden beds

haplo_wm(7)August 1, 2007

Hello all.

I just bought my first house and it has a large yard with a garden plot (about 8'x12'). Within two weeks I had a large yard and weed plot (about 2' high weeds).

I fought back and the weeds are now residing in the bottom of my new compost bin.

Ok, on to the real topic. Rather than use the ground-level existing 8x12 plot to grow vegetables, I think I should probably do a raised garden plot for two reasons: 1) I have a 9 month old puppy who thinks that a large plot of dirt is great fun. Raising it, even a little, should make it easier to convince her that it's off-limits. And 2) this should increase drainage and let me set up a lasagna garden.

Is this correct? Is raised better than ground level? If raised is better, how high should I make the walls?

My next question is that, if raised is better, what should I use for sides? I was thinking that a small wall of piled slate would be attractive and allow for good drainage. However, this would be more expensive and use up a good deal more room (see thrid question below). All the pictures I've seen on this site use wood, but I'm concerned with appearance and durability.

Any suggestions?

Lastly, should I stick to a single plot or should I break this up into multiple 4x8 rectangles or 4x4 squares, ala square foot gardening? If I'm making slate walls, this could use up a lot of room.

What have you had success with? Pros and cons of each?

Thanks,

Jeremie.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Because a raised bed drains well, it also dries out quickly.
BUT a raised bed allows you to very easily control your soil mix....but unless you make it a very high ( 2 feet or more) bed you better make sure the soil mix is blended with the sub soil.
Two of the best vegetable gardeners I know grow in raised beds...one in beds a foot high and the other in 2 1/2 foot high beds. Both gardens are only 2 feet wide and really ugly, don't contribute to the landscape.
AND I also know many people who grow amazing things flat on the ground.
Personally I wouldn't bother with a raised bed unless you are going to really seriously grow veggies, rotate the crops and plant repeat crops of successive plants.
Your dog will be a dependable adult in the summer of 09 and you will still have the raised beds you are trying to keep watered.
Linda C

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
How to see my posts
I have done a lot of searching on this site, but I...
jay174
barrier for plants with invasive roots
What have you used in the ground to prevent invasive...
taterbug
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, We are trying to figure out ways to add curb appeal...
aligal266
why do seeds that are already covered with dirt have to be germin
This is more one of those, "But...WHY?" types...
conjuay
Ideas for tall screening plants in shade
I was hoping to find some suggestions for a good screening...
Barrato
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™