transplanting a forsythia

cateyanne(zone 5/6 Northern Ohio)September 15, 2006

My forsythia was salvaged about 7 years ago from my mothers garden where it was not growing or blooming, it had been there about 3 years. I placed it in my front yard close to the front bedroom window. It was a very large open location but alas, my forsythia has florished and for the last couple of years I have had to prune heavily to keep it from eating the house entirely! It is glorious in spring, I balance off the intense yellow on the other side of the house with lots of daffodils and it looks great. But, I really need to move him. I am trying to establish a more uniformly landscaped front and I would really love to see the forsythia take off in a full sun, open location. I have plenty of room in the back yard but as it's been in this location so long I am afraid of loosing it with a move. How can I be sure I won't damage it? Also I have enjoyed this lovely screen of foliage in front of the window and am reluctant to have a bare place open to the sidewalk and street. What can I plant in it's place to provide spring color and a privacy screen the rest of the year? Suggestions Anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
skraps(5a)

I have lots of forsythia to so I know what you mean. I have not personally moved one .In the spring when it as finished blooming I trim tops and stick them in the ground they take root easily. Sorry I could not have been more help on moving it.

Bookmark   September 22, 2006 at 4:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

There's probably lots of plant material that would provide spring color and year-round screening - Which ones are best suited for your consideration will depend on many factors: some weather guidelines (where you live, or what USDA zone), what exposure (N, S, E, W?) and amount of sun, the type of soil and drainage in this location, and the amount of space you have (both width and height).

As for moving the forsythia, my experience has been that they don't resent being moved. We've moved several about the yard, some as large as 6' high. Our soil is very poor and sandy, so I prepare a large new hole generously amended with well-composted shredded leaves and a touch of cow manure. We take as large a root ball as we can manage, but usually still wind up cutting a few extremely long roots. We then set the plant at the same height at which it had been growing, water in well, add leaf mulch on top, and make sure it has sufficient water until we feel it has settled in. The leaves may look a little limp at first, but they perk up before long. I find they bloom well even the first spring after the move, which I usually do in late summer/early fall. Now, maybe we've just been lucky, or have a particularly hardy type of forsythia, so I hope someone else may chime in here and that you will consider carefully before you move the plant. I knew full well there was a risk I could lose each one, but was willing to take that chance.

Bookmark   September 27, 2006 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
How to see my posts
I have done a lot of searching on this site, but I...
jay174
Do you know about the plug valve?
Valves which are cylindrical or conically tapered known...
sammyP67
Best Android gardening and planning app?
Hello all! I've been searching for the perfect app...
magnoliasouth
Natural insect killer.
I'm just starting to use diatomaceous earth, which...
rredbbeard
barrier for plants with invasive roots
What have you used in the ground to prevent invasive...
taterbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™