Transplanting Mature Tea Olive (Osmanthus fragrans)

lauriepjSeptember 21, 2006

We are planning an addition to our house and a very old Tea Olive needs to be moved. How should this be done? I remember reading somewhere that one method for moving trees in general is to dig the root ball, but not actually move it for some time in order for the shock to be minimized. Any and all advice is welcome because this is an heirloom plant that needs to be saved.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treedude(z7 SC)

This plant can be transplanted, although if it is over 6' tall you should have it moved by a professional. The root-ball could weigh from 500 to over well over 1000 pounds depending on the size of the tree.

Generally, you have two options. Preferably to "hand-dig" which is very labor intensive but is better for the tree or move it with a tree-spade which requires specialized equipment and room to maneuver.

First, spray paint a circle around the tree to mark the area for the root-ball. A deep trench should be dug around the tree being careful not to disturb the root-ball. Fill the trench with water. You can add a commercially available starter solution and/or Bioplex to the water if you like. Let the water soak in then fill the trench with mulch. Overwinter the tree in this state then move the tree in early Spring.

Bookmark   October 1, 2006 at 12:05AM
More Discussions
Alpine Strawberries
This will be my first year planting strawberries from...
vinylapple
barrier for plants with invasive roots
What have you used in the ground to prevent invasive...
taterbug
why do seeds that are already covered with dirt have to be germin
This is more one of those, "But...WHY?" types...
conjuay
Does Preen work?
I just planted several plants and was wondering if...
jencox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™