eradicating groundcover

sailsmartOctober 27, 2009

I'm ridding my large beds of groundcover, a creeping periwinkle and euonymous vine, which is completely green, not variegated. I'm sorry I ever put it in as it's disastrous, climbing up trees, intertwining into my hydrangeas and worse. It's so prolific, especially after a wet summer that the roots have become deep and essentially escaped into more than I can handle. I did mulch this year with 2 loads of tree clippings - hoping that this would keep the lot at bay. But the leather like undergrowth is as hardy as ever! I won't use roundup. Have heard that vinegar is a possible killer. If I use newspaper, will that completely destroy it over time? I've been chopping it and replanting hostas there. Please give me advice on what will work forever!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

I think you'll need to wade in there with your boots on & dig the roots out.

I've had good luck with a *generous* application of 10% (pickling strength) vinegar in beds in full Texas sun in August, but not with less sun or lower temps.

or...
You can always advertise on your locat craigslist & freecycle that you have free groundcover for people who are willing to dig their own!

Just be sure you supervise;
people don't always know what they're doing.

Best luck!

Bookmark   November 5, 2009 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
Make your own Seed Tape
Something to do on a cold Feb. day make your own seed...
oldgardenguy_zone6
First Aid for young "fallen" coleus
I am a beginner gardener. Several weeks ago I started...
Ralph Thayer
black little ants indoor - how to get rid of them?
Hi all, We spend 30' each morning getting rid of ants...
ptien
Clay soil problems
Hello, I'm new here, nice to meet you all! I was wondering...
destany
Does Preen work?
I just planted several plants and was wondering if...
jencox
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™