seed starting in egg shell

chueh(7B)October 15, 2007

I am not successful at all when it comes to transplanting seedlings into the ground. I am thinking of sowing seeds in egg shells, so the seedlings would not get shock when they are being transplanted. However, I do have a concern. How long would it take to decompose egg shell? Wouldn't the root bound happen in the egg shells? Or is it better to buy those individually wrapped peat moss like compacted disks (sold in 12, 24, 36... in a bag or with a plastic flat)? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

It takes an eggshell a long time to break done. Instead I would use the peat pots. Be aware that peat pots dry out easily so when you water the seedlings make sure that the peat pots get fully saturated as well.

Bookmark   October 16, 2007 at 8:27AM
chueh(7B)

Thank you very much

Bookmark   October 17, 2007 at 6:39PM
digit(ID/WA)

Chueh, one thing you can do when transplanting peat pots into the ground is to make sure that they are completely covered with soil. If the top of the pot is above ground, it acts as a wick and pulls moisture up into the air.

This may not be a problem for you but an early experience in my porous soil and dry climate almost convinced me never to use peat pots again. But, they aren't a problem if you "bury" them.

Steve

Bookmark   October 18, 2007 at 7:17PM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

You might want to consider using newspaper pots instead of peat. Link is to commercial type, but you can make them by using a small piece of wood instead. I use a 1½" dowel from the craft store because I like smaller pots for starting seeds. wrap several layers of paper around the dowel and firmly twist and scrunch down on the tabletop, to fold the bottom.

Like peat pots, they should be buried below ground level when trasplanting into the garden.

If the link reverts to the home page [it did when I checked], use the search box for item 34-098.

Here is a link that might be useful: paper pots

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 1:21PM
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

I like to start my seeds in something that they can grow in for a while. I think longer =better (less disturbed)1/2 or 1/3 of the bottom portion of a plastic 2 litre soda container with a few drainage holes works great for me. cut the top portion of the bottle a little shorter and use as a top cover and you have a mini green house . and they can stay there a long time

Bookmark   August 6, 2009 at 12:09AM
More Discussions
Ideas for tall screening plants in shade
I was hoping to find some suggestions for a good screening...
Barrato
Need help with Alocasia Giant Borneo
Hello I am new to the forums so I hope someone can...
JoseVe
First Aid for young "fallen" coleus
I am a beginner gardener. Several weeks ago I started...
Ralph Thayer
How to see my posts
I have done a lot of searching on this site, but I...
jay174
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™