everblooming gardenia

misspurseNovember 29, 2007

I have an everblooming Gardenia that is a bout 2 ft tall that I got this early summer. Now my mother seen it my garden and told me that it would not survive a Northwest winter. Is that true? So this fall I slowly transfered from the ground into a container bringing into the house. It was nice green and lush before, now daily it looks sicker and sicker. It did fine at first. I have had it in the house since October. First I had it not to far from the from goor, but then I moved it by the sliding glass backdoor trying to give it more light. The furnace is located a 2 feet from the plant so maybe that could be the reason. Any feedback I will take...Please!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aka_peggy(Central Md 6b)

Gardenia's in general don't like the dry air created by heating systems. Your gardenia would fare better if placed in a cool location, preferably a well lit unheated room.

That said, you don't indicate what zone you're in or which variety of gardenia you're growing. "Chuck Hayes" & Kleim's hardy are the hardiest of the gardenia's. These are hardy to zone 7.

Can you provide more info?

Bookmark   December 3, 2007 at 10:37AM
ankraras(8/9AZ)

There are several Gardenia that are referred to as "ever blooming gardenia". I would first find out which variety you have and if it is possible to grow it outdoors in your climate zone. G.jasminoides in general only fare acceptable for a short duration while in the indoor environment.

Bookmark   December 4, 2007 at 10:13PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

I have overwintered a gardenia for about 7 years now and aka_peggy is correct. No drafts, in a cool room, and mine is in a west facing window. Misting may also help, especially if you have forced-air heating, but water sparingly. Since my tap water comes from Lake Michigan and is a bit alkaline, I also found that by sprinkling some elemental sulfur on top of the soil and covering it with a pine bark mulch helped cure my chlorosis.

tj

Bookmark   December 7, 2007 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
Clay soil problems
Hello, I'm new here, nice to meet you all! I was wondering...
destany
retaining wall planter...need help
I have a slope about 11ft deep by 5ft high. I'm planning...
jeffboyardeee
Do you know about the plug valve?
Valves which are cylindrical or conically tapered known...
sammyP67
What are Hashtags used for in Twitter
witter is one of the social networking sites which...
hemanth.cloud
What is your favorite wall-mounted hose holder?
My front yard hose goes on the wall right next to the...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™