tire potatoes

stt60(zone-5)November 15, 2008

I have read,and watched videos on youtube about growing potatoes in tires.I really want to try it next spring I understand the basics,what I don't understand is harvesting the bottom layer which was planted first. If you have tires 3 deep how do you get the bottom ones without disturbing the top and middle layer?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Potatoes are harvested at one time. If you want small tatters you do it early and so on.

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 7:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

Hi; I'm new to this forum and just tripped over this post; maybe can help, though I've never tried this method myself.

When growing potatoes, it's important to "hill up" the plants, or pull garden soil up around the base of the plant to encourage the development of more potatoes. With the tire method, you place one tire, fill it with garden soil, and plant your potato plant(s). Eventually, you'll place a second tire on top of the first and gradually fill it with garden soil, and, subsequently, a third tire (though that seems like a pretty big "hill" to me.

When it's time to harvest the potatoes, you cut back the plant to the soil, remove some of the soil from the top tire and harvest as many potatotes as you need. The rest of the potatoes can - or so they say - be safely left in the soil in the lower tires until you're ready to harvest them.

Again, I've never tried this method. Sounds interesting. If no one else in this forum has any experience or further advice with this method, perhaps you might try posting your question in the vegetable gardening forum.

Good luck to you!

Bookmark   December 10, 2008 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Natural insect killer.
I'm just starting to use diatomaceous earth, which...
rredbbeard
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, We are trying to figure out ways to add curb appeal...
aligal266
barrier for plants with invasive roots
What have you used in the ground to prevent invasive...
taterbug
Need help for my ZZ plant
My ZZ(Zamioculcas zamiifolia) plant has been re-potted...
eleonordecruz
What is your favorite wall-mounted hose holder?
My front yard hose goes on the wall right next to the...
zagyzebra
Sponsored Products
Pianca | Delano Composition 1 Sofa
YLiving.com
Milk-Chocolate-Coated Potato Crisps - MILK CHOCOLATE
$19.00 | Horchow
Belize Shag
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
4th Doctor 3-D Mug
$19.99 | zulily
WATER & DIRT SHIELD ™ Green Piece Entry Mat
$49.50 | FRONTGATE