How to get rid of Honey Bees?

MalaysiaFlowers(KL/Mal)December 12, 2005

Hi,

It has been 2 weeks since I returned to my weekend home. Saw a honey bee hive nearby to the kitchen. Will the bees fly away pretty soon? How should we get rid of it. We are worried about our 1 year old niece!

Any suggestions?

Malaysia Flowers

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

In the US many people give their problem bees to beekeepers.

I don't know if that is an option in Malaysia, please let us know.

Gardenweb has a beekeeper forum at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW beekeeper forum

Bookmark   December 20, 2005 at 1:33PM
eddie_ga_7a(8)

Are you sure it's honey bees and not wasps or hornets? Generally bees will not bother you unless you threaten their hive. I showed my 2 year old grandson how I can "pet" bumblebees while they are busy gathering nectar so that he would be unafraid of them.

Bookmark   January 23, 2006 at 1:17PM
orchid101

For several years, honey bees sneak into the wall of my house in the Spring time and started to build their home, making big chunks of honey combs. I have to call bee remover. The bee remover knows which part of the wall the bees might be, and thus take away part of my wall and remove the bees. They usually do the job at night. The repair is very costly afterwards.

Bookmark   March 17, 2006 at 9:53PM
margarete(Edinburgh)

Honeybees are a great bonus to a yard - I can't think of a bed of flowers without the humming and bumbling of clumsy honeybees moving from flower to flower. They are so funny to watch and not dangerous at all!

Wasps and hornets, on the other hand, are dangerous and aggressive and nests should not be around people. We get black hornets here. There is a product I buy in the hardware stores that effectively kills them, and that I can spray on the nests from far away. ItÂs better to do this when it is cold or with smoke around the nest to make the wasps or hornets as sleepy as possible. They will chase and sting any threat to their nests so be prepared to get inside quick! I donÂt know if this is true or just my experience, but I have found that hornets donÂt chase me as much when I run up stairs instead of down stairs.

All in all, I have been stung only once  when I stepped on a honeybee by accident  and that was entirely my fault.

My parents tell me I kept a bee in a jar as a 'pet' for a few days when I was very small. Then my Dad made the mistake of telling me I could put it in the freezer and, once the cold made it too sleepy to fly, I could tie a string around it's neck like a leash. That was the end of my bee!

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 1:08PM
opcross_hawaiiantel_net

The bees are at two different places of the house. They just started yesterday. Is there a deterant we can use?

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 7:40PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

If you are having difficulty with bees, please call a professional. If they are honey bees, the hive can be relocated.

Honey bee populations have been decreasing at an alarming rate and humans depend on the work of honey bees for the pollenation (and thus production) of a very large percentage of food crops.

Please click on any of the links that appear in the linked search and become more educated about this mysterious problem.

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 4:39PM
More Discussions
New Gardener with three raised beds
I just created 3 raised beds but do not have anything...
Redwigglerwarrior
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, We are trying to figure out ways to add curb appeal...
aligal266
Rainwater and Rusty Nails
I had an idea the other day and I shared it with my...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
why do seeds that are already covered with dirt have to be germin
This is more one of those, "But...WHY?" types...
conjuay
Prep Your Garden for the Coming Spring
Hey guys! I just wrote an article entitled, "Prep...
Miko Lawn and Landscape
Sponsored Products
Magnetic Knife Tool Bar
$9.99 | zulily
Prairie Collection Rug 5'6" x 7'5" - SILVER
$1,799.00 | Horchow
DW 3528 Quad Row LED Strip Light 450/m 28mm wide 3.2m Reel
EnvironmentalLights.com
Glimpse of Tokyo Print
$27.99 | Dot & Bo
Verona Sienna Bronze Three-Light Semi-Flush Mount
$145.40 | Bellacor