4x8' tempered glass

tracerracer(z7OR)March 12, 2009

I was lookin' for some old windows to top my cold frame, 8x4'3", (hair-brained idea has to wait a while), talked to a merchant in another close by town and he said that he wold cut me a deal on 4 4x8' sheets of 1/4" tempered glass ($50) he had. I said sure (although I only need 1, cheaper than the plexiglass i looked @ ) Turns out he had 5 not 4 (so my deal was better than it started, I did call and confess there were more pieces, he was just happy they were gone) Here's my REALLY stupid question:

I had in my head that I would @ some point use double pane windows for the insulation value, to build the GH I really want, Do I need to look for some covering to insulate these when the time comes that we put a real GH together?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Double pane is always better than single pane for winter heating. Since I am in a slightly milder climate than you (Zone 8) and only keep my greenhouse at about 38F in the winter, I went with single pane glass.

Any way, congratulations on the great deal you got. If you use these panes for that future greenhouse, you can easily improve the R-value by applying bubble wrap to them in winter. A lot of people just order big rolls of the stuff online from a packaging materials web site, because it's usually a lot cheaper than buying the same type of material from a greenhouse supplies store. You simply cut it to size and use a soapy solution, a temporary spray adhesive, or clips to hold it in place. You can then pull it off and store it in the summer.

(One other thing...I assume you know that tempered glass cannot be re-cut?)

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 4:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracerracer(z7OR)

(I worked in a glass shop for 4yrs, but, thanks for the reminder, you sounded just like me...lol) I was thinkin' that I'd need something like bubble wrap, just wanted someone that is more experienced that I (and maybe less dangerous)...........It will become a GH at some point, but SB starts Monday, so free time (read that as extra time) is in short supply until June...........My DH is starting to plan it tho, it's kinda sounding like a taj mahal, of course he then blames me (as in 'well, Tracy had to have the Taj Mahal of chicken coops'.(his plan lol)...) Thanks again.............T

Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
Idea for heat sink/exchanger
Ok so this may be a little bit of a wacky idea but...
goldenz5
heating a greenhouse
I have purchased my first greenhouse. I plant to use...
galt_museum
Landscape-integrated greenhouse - so many possibilities!
So, I purchased a piece of land in the countryside...
Karen Pease
Is this inexpensive Big Lots greenhouse worth buying?
We cannot afford to buy much of anything these days....
donnaroe
I want a greenhouse but I'm not sure where to start?
I want a greenhouse to keep bigger animals like rabbits...
laschai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™