Spring cleanup musings...

sunnysideuphill(5)April 28, 2011

The heavy snow cover broke quite a few canes in my two year old garden. MOst of the roses were bands in 2009, with appropriately thin canes, but the two ancient giant Therese Bugnets that I successfully moved also suffered. And the row of older roses against the trellis under the deck really took a beating.

I complained last year about the lax habit of gallica Allegra, and I think it saved her, because all the canes were lying flat, and none were broken. Last year I had used a tripod for support, only about 24" tall, and it was inadequate. So yesterday I put in a green painted fleur de lis topped fan shaped thing, about 30" high, that I got at Ocean State Job Lot for $9. I set in above the rose, and tied the canes to it, pruning the longest canes so that the whole thing looks kind of espaliered. There were a half dozen smaller canes breaking from the base of the longer ones, so this has potential to be quite a sight when she blossoms.

The giant Alba and Polareis by the driveway suffered damage from the bucket loader when the massive snow banks had to be cut back; I'm going to tackle those this evening...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

And I've been complaining about the deer nibbling a few leaves! Thanks for the reminder that those who are brave enough to grow roses in zone 5 have other things to deal with!

Jackie

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 4:10PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

I was overcome with fatigue just reading about all the things that have to be done in a cold climate. I'm spoiled rotten! I vastly admire people like you who persist in having roses in spite of all that extra work that needs to be done to enjoy their beauty.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 7:29PM
sunnysideuphill(5)

The damage to Polareis was worse than I thought - what looked like dense overgrown middle was really many 2' - 3' canes, snapped from oldest canes at the base of the monster and dropped into the center as the loader scooped and dumped the snow. Now that P has broken dormancy and begun to leaf out, they were obvious. Obvious but really hard to get out. And while I was literally stuck in there, I also discovered many many canes that were leafing in a tuft, at the end of a 6' to 7'cane. Looking down low, about a foot from the crown, there are what looked like bud eyes. I whacked a lot of them down to that point. In the process, I was able to discriminate and remove some crossing canes. And then I pitched everything I cut off into the '86 Toyota shortbed, which was like last year overflowing, so did the tarp plus bungee cord thing and SLOWLY drove to the recycling center, like a giant blue marshmallow.
And I haven't even started on the Alba.....

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 3:03PM
More Discussions
Rain!
For those of us in drought-stricken areas of California,...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Snow pictures
I'm not sure how many inches we got last night but...
erasmus_gw
Devoniensis rose in Texas?
I am in south Texas and like the bush form of Devoniensis,...
kingcobbtx9b
Peach Silk
Seem to recall a thread about Peach Silk recently....
alameda/zone 8
Felicite et Perpetue in a tree?
Does anyone near zone 7 have Felicite et Perpetue growing...
dindrane
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™