El cheapo from Big Lots

scraplink(7b)March 29, 2014

Hubby decided to surprise me with the plastic greenhouse from big lots. I was not requesting or expecting it so I don't know what to do in it, but he will be awfully disappointed if I don't do something. I am not prepared to invest in it, so what can I do with it as is? Treat it like a cold frame? Start seeds a little early?? Suggestions appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cold_weather_is_evil(9)

Try extremely hot water and practice the phrase "I don't know WHAT happened!"

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 3:52PM
PKponder TX(7b)

I keep my nearly-hardy tropicals and tender perennials in my cold frame. It sure beats sharing my house and garage with them all winter.

Bookmark   March 29, 2014 at 9:58PM
CanadianLori(6a Oakville)

If you really don't like it, perhaps you could maybe only put a few plants in there and then use it as a staging/potting area for those days when it's raining but otherwise pleasant outside?

Me, I'd use it like a cold frame for potted plants and when the cover goes, make a new heavier one.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 7:24AM
caavonldy(8/9 N CA)

I have one and it is just enough to protect my plants from the frost here in N. CA. If nothing else, the shelves are handy to keep seedlings and cutting on. I will be taking off the plastic cover and covering it with some shade cloth, as the plastic will hold in too much heat for most of the year. Last winter I saved a lot of plants by putting Christmas tree lights around the shelves. Our temps got down into the 20's and the extra heat was just enough to keep my little plants from freezing.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 2:37PM
More Discussions
Pros & Cons of Adding a Heating Cable to a Cold Frame
Last weekend I constructed a cold frame with the intent...
Steven Laurin & Company
Subterranean Heating/Cooling System - Continued
This is to continue the discussion from the previous...
annalog_gw
Suggestions for shade cloth for HF 10x12 GH
What do you recommend for use with GH having veg and/flowers?...
4greenhouse
Vegetables
What are considered warm and cool weather plants for...
4greenhouse
Is this inexpensive Big Lots greenhouse worth buying?
We cannot afford to buy much of anything these days....
donnaroe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™