Bubble Wrap - Bubbles IN or bubbles OUT?

joeurdaMarch 5, 2008

Got my bubble wrap from Charlies and I'm ready to install it. The directions say "bubble towards the glass or polycarbonate".

My question is . . . What difference does it make as to what side is towards the glass? Has anybody noticed a difference in maintaining the temperature?

Thanks,

Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenhouser(Middle TN Zone 6)

I have the bubbles towards the glass or outside. It adds another barrier, a good dead air to prevent heat escaping. It's also needed to join them with tape.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 4:20PM
akaeon182

Sorry but i am completely new to this.

what is bubble wrap? like normal shipping bubble wrap. I understand what its for(extra insulation). Who sells it?

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 5:02PM
jamie_mt(z4/5 MT)

I may be wrong, but I think that putting the bubbles towards the outside creates a layer of air between the bubble wrap and the polycarb (air can move or be trapped between the bubbles)...that air is what gives you insulating properties (which is why there are channels in polycarb panels - air channels for insulation). If you put the flat side against the panels, there wouldn't be an air layer, and it would be less insulating. That's how I understand it, anyways.

Mine is bubble side out, and I could tell the difference immediately when I put it up, even more so when I taped the edges of the bubble wrap together. It's a huge difference from just the polycarb panels.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 5:04PM

Call your local packaging or packing house where you will spend about 70% less than if you buy it from one of the GH places online. They also sell it in 24" and 48" and almost any length you want. Don't let them BS you as it's the same stuff.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 5:15PM
gardenerwantabe

Bubble side out makes the insulation much more effective you look at it their is cavity between the bubbles and since the air gap is where the insulating comes from if you place it with the bubbles inward then the heat will go right through between the bubbles nothing their but a thin piece of plastic.
With the bubbles facing out you trap the air in between and that is how it insulates
Take a moment to look at it and it is easy to see why the bubbles must face out.

Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 5:16PM
jamie_mt(z4/5 MT)

I got mine from a local moving truck rental company. It came in boxes of 12 inches wide by 100ft. long - unfortunately, they didn't carry anything wider, but I just taped the strips together after I hung them up. It was $24.95 per box, and I needed just a little bit over 1 box for my 6x8.

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 10:57AM
poppa(z5 MA)

picky but...

The reason they say "Bubbles toward the glazing" is because it all depends on whether you install it inside the greenhouse or outside. The effect is the same though.

Saying Bubbles out would be wrong if you install it on the outside.

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 12:47PM

If it's installed on the outside I doubt it would survive the first good storm. Does anyone put BW on the outside of the GH?

Bookmark   March 6, 2008 at 2:56PM
justplaindon

Just out of curiosity, what diameter and thickness is recommended or maybe the better question is what is everyone using? I've found a few good (cheap) suppliers selling different widths, lengths, grades and bubble sizes.

All suggestions on bubble size are welcomed.

L8r,
Don

Bookmark   March 8, 2008 at 6:05PM

1" bubbles is the usual. The rolls came in 2' and 4' rolls.

Bookmark   March 8, 2008 at 11:05PM
stressbaby(z6 MO)

I put my solar pool cover on the outside a couple of years ago, bubbles in...it didn't work that well and I froze several times trying to resecure the darn thing in the middle of winter.

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 9:27AM
birdwidow

I bought my bubble wrap from Uline because I wanted their extra heavy, 1 inch bubble in 24" width, to allow me to install it wedged between the polybars on my GH. It wasn't the cheapest, but is so heavy, I have yet to burst a single cell, in spite of abusing it.

The only downside was the need to buy so much: 2 rolls of 250 ft. each and I was fortunate in having a friend to split the order with me. So the total for the 250 ft. it took to entirely line my 12 X 16 X 12 ft. high GH was about $160.00 including shipping.

However, it paid for itself in its contribution to incredibly cheap heating bills all throughout the winter and will continue to serve to help keep the GH cooler in summer.

Stress: I'm confused by your description of an inside/outside of a solar pool cover. Mine is the same on both sides. I suppose they vary in design?

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 12:20PM
joeurda

OK. Have finally installed my bubble wrap on the inside of the LL 10x12 HFGH with the bubbles towards the polycarb.

Not really excited about the green push in tabs, but I guess that that is the only way. My problem now has to do with those corner clip. For the life of me I can't make any sense as to how I'm supposed to connect the poly from each wall together.

Does anyone have any pictures of their application of the green corner clips and how they connected the bubble wrap.

Thanks.

Joe

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Seed starting?
I'm curious....how many have started seeds, and of...
irenebott
Do hoop house grown veggie starts need hardening off?
Will the veggie starts that I'm growing from seed in...
anikkins
Solar Pool Covers Work Well!
Thanks to cactusfreak's advice, I put a solar pool...
consultant
Two 6x8 HFGH and central shed idea -- Additional suggestions?
Six or seven years ago I bought a 6'x8' Harbor Freight...
annalog_gw
Sealing Glass Glazing Sloped Wall?
Hi, I am planning a rather ambitious greenhouse build...
Daniel Extinction
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™