Princess Alexandra of Kent Growth habit?

hoovb zone 9 sunset 23April 4, 2012

What's the growth habit of this one in a mild climate? Anyone know? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeffcat

Interesting you should ask. I just bought this one last weekend along with Munstead Wood x2 and Crown Princess Margaretta.

I was wondering as well. It was somewhat of an impulse purchase and I have a nice pot I put it in, so hopefully it doesn't get too hairy. I found this whole bush shot of one, but I'm unsure of where it was grown. It strikes me more as a Lady Emma Hamilton type of grower...small, tidy, compact, but obviously you are in SoCal and your roses get enormous.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 1:37PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

thanks jeffcat.

My LEH is big and sprawly... 8^0 My only petite Austins are Wife Of Bath, Jubilee Celebration, English Garden, and the ever-sickly Fair Bianca. Everything else is BIG.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 1:46PM
onederw

PAK stays on the small side here in Pasadena. I'd say Bolero size, if that helps.

Kay

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 1:48PM
jeffcat

Haha yea, I think your roses have hormones in the soil. Your roses seem to be among the largest of anybody's where as the alkaline clay soil and winter here in NW Ohio tends to slow things down. My Evelyn is on year 3 now and about 3x3ft which is a far cry from yours.

I could also see PAK growing similar to Jubilee Celebration though in size. It's supposed to be a rather smaller Austin and well mannered in growth.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 1:57PM
caldonbeck(UK (8))

That pic of princess alexandra is taken at the DA gardens in albrighton. I can't comment on your zone, but can tell you which austins it is a similar size to. It is a tad smaller than Munstead wood and princess ann. Way smaller than any of the leander group, so abe darby, crown princess marg, grace etc. It is my favourite one of his, definitely like some of his newer releases. It flowers in flushes and the flowers appreciate a bit of shade.

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 3:38PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Thanks Kay, I have 'Bolero' it's less than 5' after many years, so that gives me an idea PA of K won't get monster-sized.

Thanks caldonbeck, if it appreciates a bit of shade in the UK, it will need some shade here.

I ordered 'Munstead Wood' and 'Snow Goose' as well. Sometimes a person just needs a few new roses!

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Tell me about the Noisette rose La Biche 1832
I obtained a beautiful 5 gal plant of the old Noisette...
fogrose
Thoughts on pruning? I'd love to see photos of your roses post-prune!
Hi all, I am gearing up for my first major pruning...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
Tipsy Imperial Concubine bush
Does anyone have any snaps of the bush? I have googled...
adamharbeck
Help with ID of old white rose?
This rose belongs to a friend, and I'm hoping for a...
vmr423
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™