My High Tunnels, 4 stationary and 2 movable

jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)March 19, 2010

I thought I would share some images of my 6 high tunnels. I love to look at all your ideas and pictures, I thought I would share some of mine. Some are ready to go, others need some work and some are almost finished.

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4

Number 5 Movable Number 1

Number 6 Movable Number 2

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: High Tunnel Link

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jes5020(z5 PA)

Looks great,,, what are the sizes of those bad boys? How well do they winter over? Ive been contemplating one here but am concerned high winds or snowfall would do them in.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 12:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

All the big ones are 18 by 40 to 18 by 45. They handle wind really well. I took all those pictures yesterday while the wind was blowing 25-30 with gusts to 35 mph. Last year we had sustained winds of 40-45 for 2 days with gust to 60 and I had minimal problems. I also had many storms blow through with 60-70 mph.

As far as snow, I pulled the plastic last winter. I wasn't planning on using them in the winter. The smallest one, which is 12 by 20, was up all winter if faired well. I just knocked off the snow several times.

I do have a center beam (2 by 4) with two support post inside. I am planning on overwintering them this year. I am going to add another beam on each side with two posts. I am confident that it will work fine. Each support beam costs about $20, it is cheap insurance!

The mobile ones are 16 by 32. They are new this year so I don't know how they will perform.

Jay

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
Is this inexpensive Big Lots greenhouse worth buying?
We cannot afford to buy much of anything these days....
donnaroe
Greenhouse building advice
I live in zone 7/8 and I am planning on building a...
j27243
Do hoop house grown veggie starts need hardening off?
Will the veggie starts that I'm growing from seed in...
anikkins
What Kind of Black Landscape Fabric Do Nurseries Use?
I grow many roses/daylilies, etc. in pots and am building...
alameda/zone 8
Green house lighting in winter
I am considering doing gardening year around in a green...
morb1lee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™