Help me find a climbing rose for foundation

lovemysheltie(5/6 Chicago)April 26, 2011

Hello. This is a picture of the foundation of my house- that's the bottom of a bow window you see. It is right next to my front door. My house is bright white so I want to plant a non white or non light climber there. As it will be so close to the front door, window as well as the spigot, I want the rose to be thornless or as thorn-free as possible.

I was considering Zephirine Drouhin but she sounds like she'd be constantly BSed here in humid Chicago.

Whichever rose I plant :

How far from the foundation should it be planted?

Also, should I attach it by using a trellis?

Thanks in advance! (X-posting to Roses forum)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luxrosa

I'm about to do what you intend, plant a climbing rose by my house where a door, window, and spigot are placed.

Yes, a trellis is needed for most climbing roses unless the rose you pick is like "Blossomtime" which can be grown as a self supporting plant.
I plant my climbing rosebushes c. 2 feet away from a trellis, and leaning a bit towards it.

Be sure and measure and then cut out a piece of the trellis, before you situate it in its place, so that you can easily get to the spigot.

You need a cold tolerant rose, and so I suggest you look at the hortico.com website because they give the zones in which each of their climbing roses can be grown.

Good luck,
Luxrosa

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
Tipsy Imperial Concubine bush
Does anyone have any snaps of the bush? I have googled...
adamharbeck
Duchesse de Brabant: Evaluation and Photos
Accidentally put this on the "Roses Forum"...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Roses good for bees
Hi friends, I'm trying to add more plants that provide...
mas_loves_roses1
David Austin Backlash... Well post your FAV Austin Pic here.
There seems to be some recent backlash on austin roses,...
silverkelt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™