Help me find a climbing rose for foundation

lovemysheltie(5/6 Chicago)April 26, 2011

Hello. This is a picture of the foundation of my house- that's the bottom of a bow window you see. It is right next to my front door. My house is bright white so I want to plant a non white or non light climber there. As it will be so close to the front door, window as well as the spigot, I want the rose to be thornless or as thorn-free as possible.

I was considering Zephirine Drouhin but she sounds like she'd be constantly BSed here in humid Chicago.

Whichever rose I plant :

How far from the foundation should it be planted?

Also, should I attach it by using a trellis?

Thanks in advance! (X-posting to Roses forum)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luxrosa

I'm about to do what you intend, plant a climbing rose by my house where a door, window, and spigot are placed.

Yes, a trellis is needed for most climbing roses unless the rose you pick is like "Blossomtime" which can be grown as a self supporting plant.
I plant my climbing rosebushes c. 2 feet away from a trellis, and leaning a bit towards it.

Be sure and measure and then cut out a piece of the trellis, before you situate it in its place, so that you can easily get to the spigot.

You need a cold tolerant rose, and so I suggest you look at the hortico.com website because they give the zones in which each of their climbing roses can be grown.

Good luck,
Luxrosa

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Are There Any Roses You Regret Buying?
I've already discarded many dozens so I'd better not...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Drought Experimet; reqst cold zones for Grndma's Ht, Rgged Robin, etc
Hi, I'm a landscape designer in southern California...
raingreen
Gardens near Paris
Hi, I will be visiting Paris, France for the first...
Kristin Rothwell
Your opinion of L.D. Braithwaite?
After many years of desiring this D. Austin rose, in...
gringo
For the rose breeders among us
I am working on a second pass weeding of my garden...
Rosefolly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™