How to attach a trellis to the top of a wall

spirit_levelApril 6, 2009

Hello

My garden is surrounded by a 7ft high victorian brick wall. I want to attach a 2/3ft trellis to the top of it for both added security and of course covering with lovely climbers!

I am wondering what the best method is to do this? Can I simply attach a baton to the top of the wall and screw the bottom of the trellis to that or will the trellis require support at the sides? - if so how do I attach posts to the top of the wall?

Should I even be attaching anything to the top of this fairly old wall? - might it cause damp problems or create stress which may damage the wall when the plant covered trellis is subjected to high winds etc?

Should I instead be looking at putting long posts into the ground along the wall and attaching the trellis to that?

I have about 80ft of wall to add trellis to and I have a very tight budget so I am really looking for the most cost effective option.

I would add that as long as the trellis is strong enough to support itself, I don't want it be much stronger than that as I want any would be thief to think twice about it collapsing if they try and climb over it!

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seamommy(7bTX)

Since you say the wall is old I would not want to attach anything to it that will add weight and cause any cracking. A good sturdy trellis that can go into the ground might be bamboo. No would-be thief in his right mind would try to climb a bamboo trellis. On the other hand bamboo might not last very long in the ground. Steel T-Posts are fairly inexpensive and could be used for the side supports and bamboo could be used for cross-bars and make a sturdy trellis that will last for many years. Painted to match the color of the brick, the trellis would disappear as soon as the vines took hold. Cheryl

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 10:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spirit_level

Thanks for your suggestion Cheryl - I think I would prefer to sterr clear of bamboo and use a wooden trellis though.

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 8:11AM
More Discussions
HELP!! First year with greenhouse
Hello friends. My hubby bought me a small 6x8 greenhouse...
kbrielle18
watering pugs
Watering plugs...better from the top or the bottom
kathybesaw
Photo--Jim's chic shack
Not quite finished yet, but thought that I’d share...
James_Shaw_San Francisco Bay Area
So I bought a mini greenhouse... Now what?!?
Hello! I love in cold MN and I am getting anxious for...
tommymommy123
subterranean heating/cooling in a Mid-Atlantic (Maryland, z7) climate
I'm posting as a separate topic since I'm "late...
hairmetal4ever
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting | Hampton 2 Light Wall Sconce
$179.00 | YLighting
73" Bamboo Vanity Top for Double Vessel Sinks
Signature Hardware
Compression Nesting Tables
| Dot & Bo
Tech Lighting | 2 in. Square Power Feed Canopy Wall MonoRail
$132.00 | YLighting
Triangle Glass Shade Wall Sconce
ParrotUncle
Aspects Gizelle Linear 48 in. 4-Light Decorative Oil Rubbed Bronze Flush Mount w
Home Depot
Steve Silver Jameson Rectangular Oak Wood Chairside End Table - JM100EK
$110.00 | Hayneedle
Ash Carl 'Eclectic' Metal Wall Art
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™