How hot will the GH get on a sunny, cold day?

maryhmApril 16, 2008

Say it's 30 degrees outside, but sunny. Is there a way to calculate how hot a 4mm double wall polycarbonate greenhouse would get if it was kept closed all day (and was situated within 10 degrees of south)? In lieu of a calculator for this, any personal experience?

Right now, if it's 60 & sunny outside and I close the greenhouse for just a couple of hours, it hits well over 100.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

One could do an engineering calculation, but it would be complex and only approximately accurate. There are too many variables here. These variables include the time of year (where the sun is in the sky), the time of day when you want to measure the temp, the wind level, the actual transmissivity of the glazing, how well the greenhouse is sealed (i.e., amount of air leakage), what the frame is constructed of and its heat capacity, what the floor is made of and its heat capacity, and so on. The easy answer is to keep a record of exterior and interior temperatures, and weather conditions, to get an idea for your particular setup.

I have an electronic thermometer in my greenhouse that transmits wirelessly into my house so I can keep track of temperature. But I have to say that I am frequently surprised by what the temperature is, compared to my best guess given weather conditions. As I sit here typing at 10:30 in the morning in the Pacific NW, it's 47F outside, 64F in my greenhouse, and totally clouded over.

Bookmark   April 16, 2008 at 1:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamie_mt(z4/5 MT)

Yesterday it was cloudy here, in the low 60's, and 84 degrees in the greenhouse. One day this winter, it was sunny, around 30 degrees outside, and around 100 degrees in the greenhouse. It just all depends on how much sun you get, and when...and the temperature drops fairly quickly for me when the sun goes behind the clouds on a colder day. I second the wireless remote thermometer - it's really the only way to get a good "feel" of what the temperature swings are like out there.

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Is this inexpensive Big Lots greenhouse worth buying?
We cannot afford to buy much of anything these days....
donnaroe
Suggestions for shade cloth for HF 10x12 GH
What do you recommend for use with GH having veg and/flowers?...
4greenhouse
Subterranean Heating/Cooling System - Continued
This is to continue the discussion from the previous...
annalog_gw
Photos - Grow Box / Cold Frame
Thought I would post here for the do-it-yourselfers. I...
soilent_green
temp in your greenhouse, and temp/weather outside, right now?
I'm curious as to what kind of passive solar gain you...
hairmetal4ever
Sponsored Products
Emerson Ottoman - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Kersey Oushak Rug 12' x 15' - IVORY/BROWN
$9,499.00 | Horchow
Nostalgia Electrics MSB-64 64 oz. Margarita & Slush Maker - 082677242044
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Super Elliptical Table
Design Within Reach
Turnstone | Bivi Freestanding Rumble Seat
YLiving.com