Greenhouse almost there More pics

tominnh(5 NH)April 27, 2009

The roof goes on...

Next step will be the door, ridge lights, ceiling fan, insulation, and sealing the base walls...

More pics to come and thank you to all that have shared pics and information to aid in this process!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
funnylady(9)

WOW That really looks great. Love the highth of it. Can't wait to see you get plants in there.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 6:24AM
krayers(7 NW Tenn)

It's looking great. You're gonna love it!!! I'm in the process of emptying mine out for the summer & cleaning it up. The height is really wonderful. You can get a lot of stuff in there.

Kim

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 4:22PM
organic_panhead

HI
I am new here so don't know all the rules. I will just ask. Do you have any plans for this greenhouse? It looks like just what I want to build. What is the glazing? I can't tell form the pictures. Looks like Polycarbonate? Is the aluminum framing standard off the shelf and where can you get it? I like the idea of putting up off the ground on stem walls. What is the total height to the eave and to the ridge? Thank you for any answers you can give me.

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 7:02PM
tominnh(5 NH)

Hello Panhead ;)

The greenhouse is a Cape Cod 10X12 from www.BCgreenhouses.com
It's on a 30 inch kneewall which will be insulated and sealed. There are some older posts here that show the progress. The ridge is about 13.5' from the floor so it is very tall. Tomorrow we sill have lighting and a ceiling fan put in at the ridge. The fan will be on reverse for the summer to push the hot air out the roof vents.

The covering is twinwall polycarbonate. I thought about the 5 wall but that would have broken the bank !

Bookmark   April 28, 2009 at 7:55PM
thinman(Z5 MI)

Nice looking greenhouse! The gentleman standing on the planks on the tops of the ladders is very ... uh ... let's say brave. Gulp.

ThinMan

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 3:19PM
tominnh(5 NH)

Ah yea I arrived home to check the progress and the very ah, "Brave" man was supposed to be on scaffolding (Not these ladders). Thank God no one was hurt and the greenhouse construction is completed other than for some finishing items. More pics will come this weekend. I again have to say the BC Greenhouses, Chris (Christine) and Greg have been wonderful to work with. A refreshing customer sevice experience that is rare these days !

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 7:11AM
greenhouser2

What kind of plants will you be growing in your new GH?

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 6:58AM
stressbaby(z6 MO)

Tom, one word of advice with a GH that tall...you will want some way of getting up to the highest parts of the GH occasionally, whether it is for maintenance, repairs, cleaning, or cutting back some monster-sized plant. Consider that when you plan your layout. Maybe an aisle down the middle for a ladder. Maybe two spots down the middle for two ladders and a board between (like the pics). Maybe two aisles down the sides and boards stretched crossways. Anyway, you get the idea. There will be a time when you will want to get up there and if the thing is full of plants and beds that you cannot move, it gets tricky. I speak from experience.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 8:19AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Tom-
It looks fantastic! And I'm glad you're still alive to post about it: that first picture shows some of the iffiest ladder technique I've seen in a while. Please get yourself a taller ladder.

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 12:37PM
tominnh(5 NH)

We will be growing salad greens in the winter and other cooler crops. Hoping to be able to keep some orchids and other tropicals growing maybe with bottom heat. I meet with the gas company tomorrow to arrange for the heat to be installed. The is not me on the ladder! I may invest in some scaffolding.

Entrance fixed

Benches on either side of the center aisle
src="http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn409/tominnh/bb8fc193.jpg";>

I hope to revive some plants from a long winter in the house.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 7:49AM
krayers(7 NW Tenn)

Tom,
It turned out great. BC is wonderful to work with. Your's seems to have gone together very quickly. Do keep open space in your center asile for a ladder. We use one frequently to reach the purlins for hanging plants and to switch our ceiling fan directions. Enjoy!!

Kim

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 9:08AM
pelicanhead

Now, that is a nice greenhouse. I love the idea with the orchids.

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 10:53PM
tominnh(5 NH)

I thought that the more that we can hang from the roof the better. It also will give shade below to those plants needing less sun.

The heater went in yesterday and now we need to connect the venting and gas line.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 8:29AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Fantastic!

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
What Kind of Black Landscape Fabric Do Nurseries Use?
I grow many roses/daylilies, etc. in pots and am building...
alameda/zone 8
New germination chamber
I built this for my wife. The humidity is staying anywhere...
rsteph1000
Do hoop house grown veggie starts need hardening off?
Will the veggie starts that I'm growing from seed in...
anikkins
Greenhouse building advice
I live in zone 7/8 and I am planning on building a...
j27243
temp in your greenhouse, and temp/weather outside, right now?
I'm curious as to what kind of passive solar gain you...
hairmetal4ever
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™