Do I have to seal pressure treated wood planter boxes?

cindyr_napa(94558)April 23, 2010

My friend is putting together some wooden planter raised bed boxes for vegetables. The wood is pressure treated and he thinks the wood has to be painted to seal out copper and arsenic. I can't recall ever seeing painted raised beds. Seems to me they are usually bare wood, but I don't know if they're pressure treated. So - should the wood be painted? If so, can it just be primed on the insides? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

pressure treated wood is normally NOT used for edible plantings because it can leach toxins....

I do not know if paint or sealer will be enough protection. Sorry.

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 11:45PM
markmahlum

As a home builder I use a significant quantity of PT wood. New chemical formulations have supposedly reduced the toxicity and possibly the performance of the treated wood products we buy. The old PT presented health risks either from burning or breathing the saw dust, not to mention handling because of the arsenic content.

I've asked the manufacturers about the safety of using PT for vegetable gardening and have not received a very "thumb's up" response and have concluded it's probably not safe. I'll be building a raised bed garden with something other than PT.

Mark

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 8:31AM
ryangrogers

you can try using Lifetime Wood Treatment (link below) as a non-toxic preservative on non-treated wood. I found mine at a local paint store, or you can order it online.

Will it last as long as PT? Probably not - but it might make it last long enough, especially if you are using some thicker lumber to start with.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lifetime Wood Treatment

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 9:19AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

Painting the insides is not going to prevent leaching of chemicals. It's correct that PT wood uses less toxic chemicals, but I still would not use them in raised beds. I recently made some raised beds. For one set I used untreated cedar, and for another I used Trex-type synthetic lumber. If your friend has already constructed these beds and is intent on using them, then he should at least would lay down some heavy gauge visqueen all along the interior perimeter to lessen migration of chemicals.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:13PM
stressbaby(z6 MO)

I lined the insides of my pressure treated raised beds with 2 layers of poly stapled to the inside.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 8:56AM
cowgirl2

This is a good article. The PTW now on the market is not CCA, so arsenic is not an issue. The ACQ will require the coated (usually green) screws to prevent corrosion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Does Pressure-Treated Wood Belong in Your Garden?

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 12:00PM
markmahlum

Good point Cowgirl. PT lumber corrodes fasteners, including Simpson hardware. Some years back they developed a zinc coated product to withstand corrosion. Codes now require that fastener product. I use approved hardware when in contact with PT on all of my projects.

Mark

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 11:05PM
knotbored

I wonder if plastic 2 X 6 decking would be more suitable for raised beds. I know of a store that sells "mill ends" of short pieces by the pallet pretty cheap- most pieces are 4' long and seams could be stagered to make sturdy walls.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 10:01AM
markmahlum

Since Trex, etc. is not t&g, you'd have no way to stabilize joints broken at random intervals, unless you did some cleating, tying pieces above and below joint together. You'd risk a "blow out, d.o. pressure, of course.

Mark

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 10:16AM
More Discussions
High hoop greenhouse
Wondering how many of you are growing in hoop houses?...
myfrozenlittlepond
Avocados for zone 3?
Please see below for the question.
loneroc1
Solar-Powered Liberty Louver Opener
I have a 10x12 HF greenhouse. It has 4 roof vents that...
4greenhouse
Is this inexpensive Big Lots greenhouse worth buying?
We cannot afford to buy much of anything these days....
donnaroe
Pros & Cons of Adding a Heating Cable to a Cold Frame
Last weekend I constructed a cold frame with the intent...
Steven Laurin & Company
Sponsored Products
TRUMP Home 400 Thread Count Pima Cotton PrimaLoft Luxury Down Alternative Comfor
Overstock.com
Countdown Watering Can - Three
$23.99 | Dot & Bo
LumenArt | AWL.13.2 Wall Sconce
$160.00 | YLighting
Natural Mica Bronze 4-Light Multi Light Pendant
Lamps Plus
Chocolate Lab with Tennis Ball Ornament
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Bria Sconce by Besa Lighting
$166.50 | Lumens
Dale Tiffany Tranquility Mission Table Lamp