Bubble Wrap as Insulation

cmpman1974(Zone 6 MI)April 21, 2006

This may seem like a dumb question, but I can't find the answer. If I am trying to insulate a Springhouse Flowerhouse 6' x 6' x 7' ft greenhouse made of polyethylene gro-tec material with bubble wrap, how do you attach the bubble wrap? Does it go on the inside or outside? Shipping tape does not work well because the moisture makes it fall off. I don't know what, or how, could be used to make it secure.

I am trying to add another layer of insulation to cut down on heating costs. I would be using 24" wide 5/16" bubble wrap.

Any advice would be appreciated as soon as possible!

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenerwantabe

Here is a link to what you need.
These are fast easy and inexpensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insulation clips

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 4:58AM
wyndyacre(z6B SW Ont.)

Or you can do like many of like many of us here and throw a clear, solar pool cover over your greenhouse in the winter. I put one on my 10x16 glass house this winter and it worked very well as extra insulation. I took it off a couple weeks ago.
The Ultra Therm covers are clear, from Americas Best Pool Supply.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultra Therm Pool Covers

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 9:13AM
gardenerwantabe

I'm in the process of insulating my new GH now. I put 3/4"
polystyrene on the north wall and half way up the east and west sides. The rest of the walls and roof will be bubble warp. Do a search on this forum and read how many say they would not buy the pool cover again. Not only is it hard to put on and remove but high wind will remove it for you. No such issues with the insulation on the inside. The two foot wide is easy enough that a woman can put it up
A pool cover would be a bear to put on my GH with the 10 foot roof.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 11:43AM
nathanhurst(VIC Aust)

foil backed PS is considerably better than plain, for a number of reasons: a) aluminium is a good reflector of IR and thus a poor emitter b) the foil stops water moving through the foam, which reduces the insulation values. Painting or cement-acrylic rendering the foam will have the same effect as b).

3/4" has a US R-value of about 4.2 compared to glass/PC/PE with R of 1. I would double that thickness to 1.5" if I could afford it. Bubble wrap has an R-value of about 2, but you get some light through it.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 7:26PM
gardenerwantabe

: nathanhurst The Polystyrene that I installed has foil on both sides I considered thicker but cost was double and r value only increased a small amount didn't seem like it was worth it. I will only be heating a couple months a year start plants from seed in the spring about 9 months a year the GH will sit empty

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 8:14PM
milwdave(Zone5 Milwaukee)

I'm using reflectex insulation on my north wall...I like it.

I attached it to the panels with double sided tape as I was installing them. Seems to work well. But I was rushed last fall so I didn't insulate as well as I should have which I'll fix this summer.

Dave
Milwaukee

Bookmark   April 27, 2006 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
Photos - Grow Box / Cold Frame
Thought I would post here for the do-it-yourselfers. I...
soilent_green
What Kind of Black Landscape Fabric Do Nurseries Use?
I grow many roses/daylilies, etc. in pots and am building...
alameda/zone 8
winter humidity in GH
In a climate like mine, where dewpoints in winter are...
hairmetal4ever
Glass 'Greenhouse' in South?
Someday, I want to have a glass greenhouse/potting...
alikat33
Drip irrigation hot water?
I am planning to grow strawberries in rain gutters...
marc5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™