Glass windows - single or double paned?

jennholly(tx 8)May 14, 2009

I am building a greenhouse out of reclaimed windows.

I have heard conflicting information about using single or double paned (insulated?) glass, but I haven't been able to find any information pertaining to greenhouses.

Which would you recommend, and why?

Our summers get very warm and our winters are "relatively" mild, with a few freezes which are usually brief.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fuzzymoto

I'm in zone 4/5 and my GH is single pane. I checked out double pane for the insulation value, but the cost was way too much for me. In addition to the glass itself, the weight is significantly heavier so the GH structure needs to be sturdier, which also adds costs.

Bookmark   May 14, 2009 at 2:22PM
birdwidow

If you are building the GH yourself and plan to frame it with lumber, the weight of double panes shouldn't be an issue and in an area that experiences mild winters but very hot summers, insulation is as important as it is where winters get bitterly cold.

In fact, it's a lot easier to keep a GH warm in winter than it is to prevent it from becoming an oven in summer and the plants will grow as well under double panes as they do single.

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 8:24AM
jennholly(tx 8)

Thanks! You both have given me a few things to think about. The frame base will be the frame of this shed, with a few modifications:

One thing I did not mention in my original post was that I don't really plan to run electricity out to the greenhouse - will that make a difference in the pros/cons of single or double?

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 3:57PM
huisjen(z5 ME)

Build it with what you have. Single should be fine for you. Look into heat-activated, non-electric, pneumatic openers. I think I saw that the Chinese Consulate, um, I mean Harbor Freight has them for about $20. There are also solar powered attic vent fans available at places like Home Depot for a bit more. If you go with single but find that you want more heat retention in the winter, look into preventing heat loss by air infiltration through small gaps in the walls and around the door and windows, insulate your north, east, and west walls, and consider temporary plastic over the windows to raise their R-value.

I assume that in the heat of the summer you'll be leaving the place empty.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 8:55AM
terrybull

Double pane windows are only good for 5-7 years and then they start to fog up thats crap, i have double pane insulated glass it will last longer than that. 30 years and more. i make custom entry doors and if i had to replace glass that often i would be out of buisness.

Bookmark   June 6, 2010 at 12:12PM
another_buffalo(6)

I was able to use double paned sliding glass doors thanks to Habitat for Humanity's Restore at around $70/set. That is six feet of tempered glass, frames and screen. Since then, I have been given two sets of doors to use for future projects once folks see how they are being used. It saves energy, is safer and pretty inexpensive. I did use pool cover for the roof and another layer for the ceiling.

If you want to use it in summer, it helps to have two doors (thanks forum folks for the suggestion) for cross ventilation. That's where the screen doors of the sets came in handy.

Bookmark   October 24, 2012 at 12:24AM
More Discussions
Greenhouse plastic problem
I built a 12'x 28' greenhouse a few years ago.It is...
jake-2009
I Need Advice for 1st greenhouse - zone 6
Hi everyone, I bought a small greenhouse from Ocean...
mcolangelo1221
HELP!! First year with greenhouse
Hello friends. My hubby bought me a small 6x8 greenhouse...
kbrielle18
GH Tomatoes - 2015
Yeah!! We opened our GH this week for the 2015 season....
hudson___wy
1/2 inch or 3/4 inch pvc?
I am thinking of building a cold frame greenhouse and...
dwyerkg
Sponsored Products
Steve Silver Lamar Media Cabinet in Cherry
Beyond Stores
Pleasant Hearth Edinburg Prairie Cabinet Fireplace Screen and 9-Pane Smoked Glas
$609.99 | Hayneedle
Carina Tissue Cover
$315.00 | FRONTGATE
Tish Crystal 5 1/2" Wide Chrome LED Mini Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Dimond Stanton Silver Plated Floor Lamp with Tray Table
Lamps Plus
Quoizel Salamander Art Glass Tiffany Glass Mini Pendant
1800Lighting
Mallorca Spanish Iron Medium Fluorescent Outdoor Wall Mount
$505.90 | Bellacor
Igloo Fireplace by EcoSmart Fire