Hoop House cooling, Advice wanted

berry-nut(4b-SouthWestWI)May 5, 2010

Hi All,

This is our first year with a hoop house. It's 21x66 with clear poly, we would like to grow tomatoes and peppers in it during the summer. In anticipation of summer heat I would like to know what other people do to keep temps acceptable. Do you use shade cloth, fans, swamp coolers? or just open the sides and ends. We usually have a week of 90's and mostly low 80's during summer.

Any help will be appreciated,

Jake

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cuestaroble

Although shade cloth, fans, and evaporative cooling all can reduce greenhouse temperatures, there is one more option that may be less expensive: shading compound. These products are diluted and sprayed onto the roof. Different formulations have a few different properties depending on your situation.
The price per gallon may look expensive, but a "1:15 dilution provides 73% shading", so you would be using much less shading compound.

Here is a link that might be useful: shading compound

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 6:56PM
randy41_1

you want max sunlight for those crops. open the doors on the ends and roll up the sides. irrigate.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 6:28AM
tommyk

I agree . . . ventilation is more important than shading. You want maximum sunslight for tomato/pepper plants. We have roll-up sides on our greenhouses and large doors, rear & front we can open when needed. It's amazing how hot a greenhouse can get if not properly ventilated . . . not safe for plants or people!

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 11:29AM
berry-nut(4b-SouthWestWI)

Thanks Everyone,

Just wasn't sure if we needed something more for cooling or not. Just trying to anticipate as many things ahead of time, I hate having to figure stuff out in a hurry.

Thanks again

Jake

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 3:05PM
hydro_nutrients

You must install a ventilation system like an exhaust fan to help cool down the temperature in your greenhouse or you can rely on the natural upward movement of hot air to exit from your hoop house through ridge or gutter vents.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 6:42AM
miwa

Maybe the guide I link to below might be help to you?
Also, have you thought about Aluminet reflective shade? From website "Its anti-oxidation coating helps to protect greenhouses like standard shade cloth, but also assists in keeping the greenhouse cool making it an excellent choice for commercial greenhouses, plant nurseries and garden centers. Aluminet is also commonly utilized as a frost protector for vegetable crops."

Here is link: Aluminet

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooling & Ventilation Buyer's Guide

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 9:20AM
More Discussions
I want a greenhouse but I'm not sure where to start?
I want a greenhouse to keep bigger animals like rabbits...
laschai
Subterranean Heating/Cooling System - Continued
This is to continue the discussion from the previous...
annalog_gw
12'x24' greenhouse made out of pallets
Well it took me 40 pallets to build and I got some...
food4freedom
Big Buddy LP Heater installation
A few days ago I installed a Big Buddy heater in my...
Hans P. Gruetzenbach
Backyard boardwalk
The side of my house is planted with rows of tropical...
gnappi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™