Digging holes before receiving the roses?

vettin(z6b Northern VA)April 23, 2011

Any harm to digging rose holes before receiving your rose order- digging a week in advance. If not, would you put any leafgro etc in the rose hole to keep it from drying out?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karenforroses(z5 NorthernMI)

I don't dig my holes ahead of time, but if I get a chance I like to prepare the area the rose will go in. I start out like I am actually planting a new rose - I dig out and keep the first third of the soil from the hole area. I dig out the bottom two thirds and use it for fill somewhere else. Then I mix the top third with one third compost and one third peat moss, a cup of bone meal, and then mix it all up. I put it all back in the hole. When my bare root roses arrive, I can just temporarily remove the soil, add the rose, and refill. I only do this when I have time on my hands before the roses arrive. That probably won't be the case this year since we just had a major snow fall a few days ago. It melted fast, but put be behind in the garden.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 5:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosefolly

I seem to remember doing this years ago when I lived in a cold weather climate. Planting season can come when the soil is very wet, and you don't to mess with wet clay soil. Getting peas in the ground at the proper time was particularly tricky. If I recall correctly, a couple of times I did the prep for roses in the fall, filled the hole and covered it with mulch, and then was ready to plant as soon as the soil was dry enough to be handled.

On the other hand, it might be that I just remember reading about doing this! I left Pennsylvania twenty-some years ago.

Rosefolly

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
Queen of Sweden song
With apologies to Cab Calloway -- "I had a dream...
Sylvia Weiser Wendel
I'm back!
Couldn't get confirmed onto this new system so created...
cemeteryroseanita
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
Id this rose please
Hi guys, is there anyone here that can identify this...
Ethan Bradley
about the David Austin bagged root roses out there now
Over on the rose forum there was a report of Austin...
stillanntn6b
Sponsored Products
Silver Tails Dog Infrared Pet Massager with 2 Heated Heads - 58001
$33.11 | Hayneedle
Skateboard Artwork V
Grandin Road
Wine and Dine Bench
| Dot & Bo
Centrifuga Pendant Light
$219.99 | Dot & Bo
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Loloi Rugs Rugs Olivia Life Style
Home Depot