How clear is 'clear'? (or should I go with opaque?)

castorpJuly 11, 2011

Is clear plastic greenhouse film transparent like glass? Or is it a little "foggy"? Or does it start out clear and become a little foggy as it weathers?

I ask because I want to make a screen to hide some vegetables growing in really ugly plastic containers (split plastic drums, mainly). I'll be growing vegetables in the middle of winter, when the sun is weak and shining at a low angle, so I need a screen that lets in a lot of light, or else the screen will shade the veggies. At the same time, the screen must hide, or at least obscure, an ugly view.

Or would opaque be better? I like the look but I worry that it won't let in enough light. I was reading about it and it seems to reduce the amount of light that enters quite a bit.

There would no be a roof on this structure (except a temporary one on freezing nights) so I don't think overheating should be an issue. I just need something that will let in light and yet "fog" the ugly view--if such a thing exists.

Thanks,

Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karin_mt(4 MT)

Hi Bill,

The plastic film for greenhouses is not perfectly clear. It lets plenty of light through but it is not transparent like glass. It will screen your view of the containers. For example, when I look across the backyard at my hoop house, I can't see the plants inside. I'm using the IR film from Farmtek. If you are buying an odd-sized piece of film, check out their remnants section and you can find some nice deals.

Happy growing!

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 5:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
castorp

Thanks! I'll check out Farmtek.

Bill

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 5:38PM
More Discussions
Photos - Grow Box / Cold Frame
Thought I would post here for the do-it-yourselfers. I...
soilent_green
Subterranean Heating/Cooling System - Continued
This is to continue the discussion from the previous...
annalog_gw
winter humidity in GH
In a climate like mine, where dewpoints in winter are...
hairmetal4ever
HELP!! First year with greenhouse
Hello friends. My hubby bought me a small 6x8 greenhouse...
kbrielle18
Greenhouse building advice
I live in zone 7/8 and I am planning on building a...
j27243
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™