insect control

loveitgreenJuly 17, 2014

For the last couple of years I have had a real problem with pill bugs in my greenhouse. I have raised beds in there and grow vegetables and herbs straight in the ground. Nothing I tried worked in getting rid of these bugs. I was given a recipe at a small nursery here where I bought tomato plants. I have been thrilled with how well this mixture has worked so, I thought I would share it. Mix it, put in a spray bottle and spray around the plants misting the soil. It doesn't take much so don't overdo.

In a gallon jug put 1 cup ammonia, 1 tablespoon dishwashing liquid, 1 tablespoon oil (I used olive but don't think it matters),1 teaspoon ground cayenne (no additives like salt), 1 teaspoon ground garlic (no additives). Fill the jug with water. Mix and pour in a spray bottle.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbrya1

What happens if the spray would happen to get on the plants?

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 1:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loveitgreen

The plants are fine. I don't try to avoid them. They get misted in the process. Have sprayed chives, beans, tomatoes, cantaloupe, parsley....I will admit that so far since I have misted around the soil, I have had little need to mist the plants as there is little evidence of pests. I did mist a tomato higher up on the upper leaves just to see effect...was fine. Tomatoes are now 6 to 8 feet tall and thriving.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Solar Pool Covers Work Well!
Thanks to cactusfreak's advice, I put a solar pool...
consultant
Backyard boardwalk
The side of my house is planted with rows of tropical...
gnappi
subterranean heating/cooling in a Mid-Atlantic (Maryland, z7) climate
I'm posting as a separate topic since I'm "late...
hairmetal4ever
temp in your greenhouse, and temp/weather outside, right now?
I'm curious as to what kind of passive solar gain you...
hairmetal4ever
High hoop greenhouse
Wondering how many of you are growing in hoop houses?...
myfrozenlittlepond
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™