Full sun for the Duchess?

subk3April 18, 2014

I'd like to grow a Duchess de Brabant in an area that gets morning sun from sunrise to about 11am-noon, so 5-6 hours with afternoon shade. It will have a light colored wall behind it below 3 feet and a glass window higher--so some relfected heat and light, but not a lot.

I know sun exposure is not the same depending on the intensity of the climate, but would anyone know if 5-6 hours of morning sun in the Southeast (Nashville zone 6b/7a) would be consider "Full Sun"?

Some sources say DdB can take a bit of shade, but this will be a specimen plant in a perennial garden so I need it to be a star and do more than just get by.

If not the Duchess any other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I can only say that the Duchesse did not do will in the sun in my hot and dry climate and the situation you describe would have been perfect for it. I don't know much about growing conditions in your area but have found that overall the teas in warm climates don't need all-day sun to thrive. It's possible that in a humid climate such as yours they can tolerate more sun, but for a really accurate assessment I would trust most the people who live near your area. I think it's a wonderful rose, by the way.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 6:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

I've grown her in partial shade in TX and, believe it or not, in Portland. She seems to remain quite healthy. The main challenge in Portland is the rain/blossom combo. However, if I lose some blossoms, I just cut 'em off and start again. She's been a fantastically remontant rose for me. She has buds right now and no disease. She's boxed into a partial shade location during the summer but at this time of year, there is little sun anywhere in the garden for any length of time...period. She seems to grow a bit lankier in shade. (Who doesn't?) Not unduly gawky, though, after she grows out of the extended, awkward adolescent stage. Carol

Bookmark   April 18, 2014 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Mme Alfred Carriere - final size in UK?
Hi I have a planting dilemma. This spring I bought...
fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
Poorbutroserich update
Hi. It's me, Susan, just checking in. Due to forum...
roserich
For the rose breeders among us
I am working on a second pass weeding of my garden...
Rosefolly
Frustrated with the System Again!!
I laboriously downsized and labeled ten pictures and...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Has anyone grown Emmanuella de Mouchy?
Hello, fellow OGR lovers! Has anyone out there grown...
PortlandMysteryRose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™