What to plant for indoor school greenhouse

organic_pokeyAugust 26, 2010

I am a teacher and was just given an 8X8 greenhouse to use in the classroom. I want to make the best use of it. My hope is to grow a variety of vegetables, herbs and flowers. Are there any suggestions as to what are the best vegetables to grow from start to finish in an indoor greenhouse? I'm looking to start with very simple and basic vegetables; ones that the students can identify with. For example: lettuce, tomatoes, radishes, onions, etc....

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Andy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandy0225(z5 Indiana)

I have some seeds of a really small sized tomato that you can grow in a hanging basket or 10" pot. It would be a good one for the kids because they are ready in 60 days and they live for a really long time.
The miniature sunflowers are fun and you can grow them in a 6" pot. Most of the kids won't be too thrilled with onions and radishes, it's not kid food! Banana plants are fun, not for the bananas but because they grow so fast and look different. Figs are also something fun to grow that grows fast.
Do you have supplemental light in your indoor greenhouse? if not, then it's going to be quite a challenge to grow anything other than houseplants.

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 8:02AM
More Discussions
Suggestions for shade cloth for HF 10x12 GH
What do you recommend for use with GH having veg and/flowers?...
4greenhouse
A ROUGH TIME OF YEAR FOR GREEN HOUSES
My green house is still winterized. Every possible...
Hans P. Gruetzenbach
Vegetables
What are considered warm and cool weather plants for...
4greenhouse
1/2 inch or 3/4 inch pvc?
I am thinking of building a cold frame greenhouse and...
dwyerkg
Pros & Cons of Adding a Heating Cable to a Cold Frame
Last weekend I constructed a cold frame with the intent...
Steven Laurin & Company
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™