Advantages of Geodesic Dome?

GardenRick(7b)August 29, 2011

Our 40ft hoophouse works as a season-extender, but gets too cold in winter for veggie growing here along cloudy Puget Sound. We're looking at year-around alternatives including geodesic domes. Do geodomes have any particular growing advantages?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

The thermal characteristics of your glazing materials are the primary drivers determining performance. The fact that a geodesic dome has a somewhat different geometry and a somewhat different volume to surface area ratio, compared to a conventional greenhouse, is not going to make a significant difference in your situation.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 12:53AM
plantladyco

unless it's a Growing Spaces dome!

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 11:14AM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I've seen the Growing Spaces GH Dome web site, and what makes their domes energy efficient are things like photovoltaic panels, sidewall and floor insulation, in-ground heating pipes, water tank for heat storage, etc. These are all things you can do to improve how a conventional GH works, and are not unique to a geodesic dome. Further, the design of a geodesic dome means that there is a chunk of growing space high up that probably won't be utilized, but will still need to be heated. Overall I think the Growing Spaces concept is good...it's just not magic that results from the shape of the structure.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
Greenhouse building advice
I live in zone 7/8 and I am planning on building a...
j27243
What Kind of Black Landscape Fabric Do Nurseries Use?
I grow many roses/daylilies, etc. in pots and am building...
alameda/zone 8
Landscape-integrated greenhouse - so many possibilities!
So, I purchased a piece of land in the countryside...
Karen Pease
Do hoop house grown veggie starts need hardening off?
Will the veggie starts that I'm growing from seed in...
anikkins
I want a greenhouse but I'm not sure where to start?
I want a greenhouse to keep bigger animals like rabbits...
laschai
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™