L.D. Braithwaite, what gives?

lovemysheltie(5/6 Chicago)April 27, 2011

I got L.D.Braithwaite from Chamblee's a week ago. Its bud has bloomed and I am rather disappointed. While the bush itself is healthy and awesome (as Chamblee's plants always are), the flower is pink than red, and I cannot detect any smell whatsover! HMF lists this guy as having a 'strong, old rose fragrance' and the photos are more red as well. Do you think it's possible Chamblee's sent me the wrong rose? Wanted to ask here before I phone them...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseseek

lovemysheltie, give it some time. What you have is an immature plant without sufficient root system to provide all the resources it needs to create all those petals, color and scent. I'd plant it and give it what you'd normally provide a new plant then watch it for a while. You may register your apprehension with them if you'd like, but my guess is immature plant with potential odd weather conditions. You know how some roses can appear strange early in the season due to unusual temps and light levels. Kim

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 7:47PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

I agree with Kim.
I grew L.D. Braithwaite for many years, and it did very well in my coastal climate.
It was disease-resistant, too, in my conditions.

That bloom doesn't look right, but I think you need to wait until it has a real plant under it, to judge it.

Jeri

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 10:55PM
the_bustopher z6 MO

L.D. Braithwaite sometimes has pink flowers to start with before it really gets going. Give it time. This is common among old garden roses where the darker red coloring develops better after the plant is established. La Belle Sultane is a perfect example of this. I think you will be okay. It also will tend to bloom one per stem and rarely have the full petal count as pictured in the catalog. However, when it does, it is drop-dead gorgeous.

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 11:46PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

When I received Le Vesuve as a band I was absolutely convinced I'd been sent the wrong rose only to find out I was mistaken. Even the leaves didn't look quite right to me. They do need a little time to get their act together. I think your rose is quite lovely as it looks right now, by the way.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 11:37AM
lovemysheltie(5/6 Chicago)

Got it, thanks all :)

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 1:22PM
Krista_5NY

To my eye, it does not look like L. D. Braithwaite. It looks like a mis-labelled rose.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 2:19PM
kstrong(10 So Cal)

Roses that bloom in their shipping boxes (like this one seems to have) can have some very strange colors. I wouldn't worry about it until the next blooms. They probably will not look at all the same.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 4:05PM
seil zone 6b MI

I have to agree with Kathy. You have no way of knowing in what conditions that rose set that bloom and what conditions it endured in transit. Don't judge it until it's had a chance to settle down and get established.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 8:17PM
buford(7 NE GA)

I also had a LD from Chamblees and it also bloomed pink. I thought it was the wrong rose. Unfortunately it didn't survive, so I don't know if it would have turned red.

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 7:02AM
More Discussions
Madame Ernest Calvat for Maryland?
I am thinking of getting Madame Ernest Calvat. I am...
mydl
David Austin Backlash... Well post your FAV Austin Pic here.
There seems to be some recent backlash on austin roses,...
silverkelt
Thoughts on pruning? I'd love to see photos of your roses post-prune!
Hi all, I am gearing up for my first major pruning...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
Sidewalk Flowers
by JonArno Lawson, illustrated by Sydney Smith I'm...
bellegallica9
Proliferated roses and the fashion runway
Lots of fashions featuring red (HT) roses by Dolce...
stillanntn6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™