For newbies: pollination in greenhouses

CarolynA(sierras)September 14, 2006

With so many folks doing greenhouse gardening for the first time I thought I would share something with you. I've been growing veggies in my greenhouse for 2 years now & , duh, I just figured out what's wrong with my squash. OK, I'm a little slow :>) Greenhouse = no bugs = equals no pollination. Yep, I've been hand pollinating the tomatoes with a little paint brush but for some stange reason (old age maybe?) it did not occur to me to hand pollinate the squash. They would get to about 2" long, the blossom would fall off, & the squash would fall off. As soon as I started hand pollinating I got beautiful squash! My neighbors also had the same problem with their outside garden this year because we had no honey bees around. I expect that next year we will have a bumper crop of squash.

Also, some varieties of veggies are "parthenocarpic" and are able to reproduce without pollination. I think I must have gotten some of these types of plants, like seedless cucumbers, by accident last year. Next year I will hand pollinate like crazy!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsmith2579(7B)

Every winter I am in the greenhouse with my bird feathers fertilizing citrus blooms. By spring I have a bumper crop of calamondins. Been doing it for years.

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 12:57AM
CarolynA(sierras)

Well, I found out why there are no bees around here this summer. They got some sort of, pardon the pun, bug. I thought it was odd that there were zero bees. I sure hope they make a comeback!

Bookmark   September 16, 2006 at 11:48AM
stressbaby(z6 MO)

Carolyna, put away your paintbrush...all you have to do to pollinate tomatoes in the greenhouse is to shake the plant once a day; best to do this midday.

Tsmith, I hate to tell you this, but my research indicates Calamondins are self-fertile and self-pollinating.

SB

Here is a link that might be useful: Calamondin link

Bookmark   September 17, 2006 at 9:24AM
clavero

I have no problem with tomatoes forming fruit in our small gh. The door is open most of the day but I can't say I've seen bees around inside.

I've not shaken them either but the 24/7 fans keep them "swaying in the breeze" day and night.

Bookmark   September 17, 2006 at 11:23PM
agardenstateof_mind

Like clavero, my cherry tomatoes formed fruit last winter without my making any efforts regarding pollination. There was a small fan running 24/7 in the greenhouse, and, of course, just tending to the plants "shakes" them a little bit. Perhaps some varieties are just easier than others.

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 1:44AM
jimmydo2(z9 Calif)

I thought that even if a Plant was.
"self-fertile and self-pollinating.", you still need to get the pollen from one flower to another somehow...

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 3:01AM
nathanhurst(VIC Aust)

jimmy, I think self-pollinating means that after a certain period of time the flower closes down and fertilises itself. self-fertile means that a single plant can provide the pollen and the egg.

Bookmark   September 21, 2006 at 7:36AM
ole_dawg(7 UpCountry SC)

StressBaby,
Well you have just taken a load off my mind. So I don't have to worry about the tomatoes being beeless? Why shake them? Is that enough to send the pollen into the air? Just curious about that. The rest of the stuff going in there does not require pollenizing (SP)Lettuce and Microgreens.
Thanks for the info
1eyedJack and the Dawg

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 11:09PM
stressbaby(z6 MO)

So I don't have to worry about the tomatoes being beeless? - no

Why shake them? Is that enough to send the pollen into the air? - yep

SB

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 7:33AM
NotEnuffMana

I have two cherry tomato plants but one got late blight so i quarantined that ass with the quickness. but my last plant which is marvelous is in a deep water culture has many flowers but they keep falling off! i have made a buzz-pollinator out of a vibrating razor handle and a toothbrush head. I've also made a centrifugal dremmel out of a cap on the end of the dremmel with a spinning cotton swab in the middle. But theres been some freakishly hot weather since the flowers opened! anybody have an idea where to buy pollen perhaps? or any surefire over-the-top ways to make this work(cooling methods, trapping a bumblebee in my room for the day)? I dont want the past 80 days to be for nothing. The mornings have been about 80F reaching 93F noon.

Bookmark   September 9, 2011 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
temp in your greenhouse, and temp/weather outside, right now?
I'm curious as to what kind of passive solar gain you...
hairmetal4ever
1/2 inch or 3/4 inch pvc?
I am thinking of building a cold frame greenhouse and...
dwyerkg
Reducing Night Light Pollution (6A)
For the first time, we're using the glass greenhouse...
oldbat2be
Convertible/Multipurpose Green House. Is this a good or bad idea?
I want to have a multipurpose enclosure around my backyard...
peowmeow
High hoop greenhouse
Wondering how many of you are growing in hoop houses?...
myfrozenlittlepond
Sponsored Products
Designers Fountain Urban LED6070 Wall Sconce - Satin Platinum - LED6070-SP
$119.50 | Hayneedle
Emerson CF652 Summer Night 52 in. Indoor / Outdoor Ceiling Fan - CF652BQ
$167.97 | Hayneedle
Access Lighting Piazzo Cut Glass Wall Fixture 53343-CH/CLOP - 12W in. Chrome Mul
$116.00 | Hayneedle
Designers Fountain Outdoor Whitmore LED21731 Wall Lantern - Mystic Bronze - LED2
$135.50 | Hayneedle
Designers Fountain Outdoor Hawthorne LED 7102L Wall Lantern - Black - 7102LED-05
$56.25 | Hayneedle
Flor De Serres Original Framed Print #127
Ballard Designs
Jump Start 72 Cell Greenhouse - JS72CG
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Emerson CF552 Veranda 52 in. Outdoor Ceiling Fan - CF552AW
$219.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™