Separating glass panes from taping

yellowtractor(Fort Worth, TX)September 12, 2008

I purchased a 15' X 30' glass-paned greenhouse and need to dis-assemble it to bring t home. I read the older post about dis-assembling an marking everything but I think my major problem will be separating the glass from the insulating foam tape that was used. They're stuck pretty good. I purchased some real thin putty knives with the hope of working them between the tape and glass but there's a lot of glass to remove. Is there anything that I can spray that might speed up the process? There's only about 330 panes with 54 curved ones to remove.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cuestaroble

For removing many types of glue,tape, etc. I have used "goo gone" successfully. My teacher wife said they use it to remove grafitti. Sounds like a tv ad, but it is not particularily expensive and seems to work.

Here is a link that might be useful: glue, tape remover

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 7:19PM
yellowtractor(Fort Worth, TX)

Thanks. Maybe I can make a little space with the putty knife and give it a spray. Definitely worth a try.

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 8:07PM
kudzu9(Zone 8a - PNW)

I've always found single edge razor blades - either handheld or mounted in a small scraper -- to be easier and more effective than a putty knife. If you hold the blade at an angle, you can often slide it along and separate the adhesive from the glass effectively.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 12:34AM
yellowtractor(Fort Worth, TX)

I've acquired an assortment of razor blades and different holders which I'll be trying. I'll practice on the smaller rectangular pieces and save the curved till last hoping to be smarter by then.
Thanks for the reply.

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
Big Buddy LP Heater installation
A few days ago I installed a Big Buddy heater in my...
Hans P. Gruetzenbach
I want a greenhouse but I'm not sure where to start?
I want a greenhouse to keep bigger animals like rabbits...
laschai
Outdoor Kitchen and Greenhouse together
My idea was a brick oven built over a wood stove and...
T S
Largest greenhouse in the world...
I recently returned from a trip to SE Asia and spent...
kudzu9
Photos - Grow Box / Cold Frame
Thought I would post here for the do-it-yourselfers. I...
soilent_green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™