newbie advice

someara(pacific nw)September 20, 2008

Hi Everyone,

I have been gardening in a small (10 X 6')polycarbonate kit greenhouse for a couple of years. I have a heater and programmable thermostat and am wondering what would be an ideal heating protocol (i.e. temp for day, eve, night, etc.) I am looking for a protocol that would accomodate the widest range of flowering plants. My interests are mostly in carefree varieties that we are able to grow as annuals in the PNW summer. I am hoping to be able to extend some flower gardening into the winter this year. Lighting is another issue I am working on of course. Our winters are usually mild here. If I could find a way to get my morning glories to flower during the winter, I would be in heaven. Also, any recommendations of plants/flowers that would be good for a semi-beginner greenhouse gardener would be most welcome. I am just looking to dabble and create a little garden oasis to escape to in the winter. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdwidow

As I love the Pacific NW above all other places but ended up stuck in the too cold in winter, too hot in summer miserable midwest, I'm having a difficult time trying to pity you. However, in the spirit of the goodwill we like to bring to this forum...

My winter blues lifter is a plant that is literally black thumb proof, will bloom all winter, perfume the entire GH and is happiest in cooler temps- a gardenia. The only hard part of growing one to keep in a winter GH is in fall, after it's been growing and expanding outdoors all summer, so must be trimmed back just to fit it through the GH door.

Keep a potted Gardenia damp but not wet, treat it to a wee pinch of Micacid each time you water it, remove spent blooms quickly, and it will produce dozens more of them at a time all through winter, greeting you with it's heavenly scent every time you enter your GH.

Bookmark   September 22, 2008 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
Greenhouse blogs
It has been a lot of fun and eduacational reading these...
wildlifegardenermt
Help me plan my Colorado sunshed
This spring I'm converting an existing shed into a...
Golden David
High hoop greenhouse
Wondering how many of you are growing in hoop houses?...
myfrozenlittlepond
Convertible/Multipurpose Green House. Is this a good or bad idea?
I want to have a multipurpose enclosure around my backyard...
peowmeow
Is this inexpensive Big Lots greenhouse worth buying?
We cannot afford to buy much of anything these days....
donnaroe
Sponsored Products
Linens: For Every Room Book
$55.00 | Horchow
Novelty Lamps: Ionic Crystal Natural Salt Basket Lamp - Wide (8-10lbs) 1301
$29.97 | Home Depot
Ball Basket Five Arms Chandelier by Hubbardton Forge
$630.00 | Lumens
One Minute Art Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Draping Leaf Gold Leaf Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Grid Wall-Mount Mailbox - Polished Stainless Steel
Signature Hardware
Possini Euro Geneva 16" Wide Crystal Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
WBM Himalayan Lamps Ionic Crystal Natural Salt Basket Lamp - Tall (9-11lbs)
$23.95 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™