light colored bloom on Excellenz Von Schubert

gardennatlanta(z7atlantaGA)April 25, 2014

My 4 year old Excellenz Von Schubert has some light colored blooms on it. The picture is not very good--taken with my phone. They are a mix of white and light pink--very different from the dark pink of the normal blooms. They also don't seem to have the same intense fragrance that the normal blooms have. I've never seen this before.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is this just weather?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

This is called a "sport'. It's a slight genetic mutation that happens naturally in roses. Sometimes it will be just one bloom and never return. Other times the entire cane has the mutation and will continue to bloom the different color. That is called a stable sport and is responsible for some new varieties of roses being introduced.

If you want you can mark that cane and see if it does it again. If so you may want to take some cuttings and root them and see if it continues to be the new bloom color. Then you'll have your very own new variety of rose!

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 8:44AM
seil zone 6b MI

This is called a "sport'. It's a slight genetic mutation that happens naturally in roses. Sometimes it will be just one bloom and never return. Other times the entire cane has the mutation and will continue to bloom the different color. That is called a stable sport and is responsible for some new varieties of roses being introduced.

If you want you can mark that cane and see if it does it again. If so you may want to take some cuttings and root them and see if it continues to be the new bloom color. Then you'll have your very own new variety of rose!

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 8:45AM
roseseek

While it may be a sport (mutation), it very likely isn't. EvS has a strong multiflora background. The flowers can vary greatly in color due to temps, nutrients and the amount of light it receives. As Seil suggested, you can mark the cane in case it does it regularly so you can propagate it should you have a lighter colored mutation, but very likely the further blooms will be the color you expect them to be. Kim

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 11:12AM
jerijen(Zone 10)

It does that fairly often. In fact, most of the multiflora-ish roses I've grown do that from time-to-time. As Kim said. :-)

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 2:12PM
gardennatlanta(z7atlantaGA)

Thanks everyone. While I was hoping to hear the word "sport", I'm not surprised to hear that it's the weather or something else equally mundane.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 4:00PM
roseseek

Multiflora is highly susceptible to chlorosis, the lack of iron (and sometimes nitrogen). The most common cause here is the alkalinity of our soil and water. If for any reason, the plant was deprived of either of those nutrients, or the temps were just off enough when the bud was formed, it's going to be lighter colored. I frequently had to heavily amend the soil to acidify it to keep my heavily multiflora based roses their right colors. Many other types are also susceptible to the issue. I had chronic chlorosis (and light colored flowers and foliage) on Blue Mist, Reine des Violettes and a number of others for a long time in the old Newhall garden. Now, I just don't grow them if they have the issue. A client has Gartendirektor Otto Linne which FREQUENTLY throws chlorotic canes and nearly white flowers. I told her if it offends her, cut it off. Otherwise, leave it alone and once the appropriate nutrients and temps arrive together, it will green up. Kim

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 9:39PM
More Discussions
Aphids have found my roses...
I guess you never find just one aphid... I just spent...
vmr423
Any ID ideas on this old Sonoma Mission rose?
This rose is a low bush (to 80 cm) growing under a...
dkelch
Roses good for bees
Hi friends, I'm trying to add more plants that provide...
mas_loves_roses1
Duchesse de Brabant: Evaluation and Photos
Accidentally put this on the "Roses Forum"...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™