Which is wider--Felicia or Ghislaine de Feligonde?

dublinbay z6 (KS)April 29, 2014

Does anybody know which is wider--Felicia or Ghislaine de Feligonde?

They will both be arriving here in the next few days and I still can't decide which one should get the wider spot and which one the less wide spot. I checked a number of sources like HMF and several of the well-known online nurseries, but very little info. is provided on width.

Thanks,

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The second is larger growing, more of a climber than the first.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 9:10PM
ArbutusOmnedo 10/24

I think Ghislane de Feligonde would end up wider than Felicia. There are photos of people growing Felicia like a glorified Floribunda in areas with a true winter. That could also be via pruning, but the smaller shrubs of Felicia looked excellent. I've only seen Ghislane de Feligonde a few times in person, but it was large.

Jay

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 11:07PM
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Hi, Kate. Ghislane--picture her as a rambler. She can be trained up and over things so that her width, technically, is not as wide as Felicia's arching growth. But she is a bigger girl and also loves to sprawl about as other ramblers do. She can cover a chunk of fence, width-wise. Felicia has been fine for me as a climber (with training) or a medium large shrub (with heavier pruning) or she can form a large arching shrub with just tidy-up pruning. Do you plan to locate them near a fence? On an arch? Open bed? Ghislane will need support of some kind unless you want her to spill about or cascade over a wall. Does this help? Carol

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 1:42AM
hartwood

I grow both of these. Felicia is definitely more narrow and stiff and upright than Ghislaine de Feligonde. I grow Felicia in a spot where she can lean against the fence, but she hasn't availed herself of the opportunity. Ghislaine is also on a fence, the first rose on my Rambler Fence. For me, Ghislaine has been the most mannerly of ramblers, forming a large arching, trailing, mostly self-supporting plant. It is attached to the fence in one place, because it is top-heavy and was knocked down by a storm two years ago. No problem with that since then.

Be sure to put Felicia somewhere accessible so you can smell her flowers ... heavenly!

Connie

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 7:28AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

This has been very helpful information. Thank you, everybody.

A fence is available in the wider spot, so I guess that is the spot for Ghislaine. I don't mind if she wants to do some self-supporting stuff, but the fence is there is she needs some support. Putting her there was my original plan, but I started second-guessing myself as I waited through the winter months. Get in trouble every time I do that--think I'd learn! LOL

Felicia was intended to be a self-supporting rose--I have Buff Beauty back there as a self-supporter also, plus a couple non-rose shrubs. They are kind of a backdrop to the rest of the garden.

I'm feeling reassured now. However, I will have one hole out there -- Hortico just informed me that Boule de Neige is not available--as it was not available at the few places who listed it last fall. And I really want that one. Seems to be easily available to the English--why not to us here in the USA? Don't know what I will do about that--I'm sitting here sulking over it!

Thanks again, folks. So helpful!

Kate

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Tess of the d'Ubervilles
I have bragged on Tess on several posts but never could...
alameda/zone 8
William R. Smith
Does anyone know how this compares to Maman Cochet...
titian1 10b
David Austin Backlash... Well post your FAV Austin Pic here.
There seems to be some recent backlash on austin roses,...
silverkelt
Sidewalk Flowers
by JonArno Lawson, illustrated by Sydney Smith I'm...
bellegallica9
Rosa Chinesis
I just found the name of this rose on a cottage garden...
alameda/zone 8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™