About getting rid of Virginia Creeper

anntn6b(z6b TN)April 17, 2008

The first time I ever saw Virginia Creeper was at the Evangeline memorial in Nova Scotia. It was fall and Virginia Creeper covered the walls of the chapel with vibrant red fall leaves. It was also the first time IÂd seen deep herbaceous borders at the height of their fall bloom. I wanted both.

Be careful what you wish for.

I now have Virginia Creeper. It comes up easily thanks to avian deposition with just the right amount of fertilizer.

I have Virginia Creeper in two rose beds. One with my large polyanthas. The other with Hybrid Musks, Pauls Himalayan Musk, Heiderloslein and assorted bulbs at the base of a mature walnut tree.

In neither bed is it possible to dig the VC out. Too much root competition. Too much potential damage to established roses.

I am afraid of using systemic herbicides; weÂve lost some roses due to root to root transmission of herbicides among woody plants.

Aside from just cutting the VC back time after time after time, has anyone got a secret to getting rid of this otherwise lovely vine?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnaz5(Z5 NY)

you have to pull it..the roots are runners, but come up fairly easily..pull..pull..pulll..then go back at it when it reappears..you can eradicate it in 2 seasons if you keep at it. not what you wanted to hear, probably, but that's how i got rid of mine. donna

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 10:12PM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

Donna,
I'm just grateful to have someone say that it can be eradicated without herbicides and that low tech worked for them.
Ann

Bookmark   April 17, 2008 at 10:49PM
ronda_in_carolina

I have also heard that if you keep pulling or cutting it back and then allow it to form a single new leaf---you will need precious little herbicide to finish the roots. The idea being the plant is starving for sunlight from the constant pulling and cutting and then when it finally gets that first leaf it is very dependant on it for survival. A small bit of herbicide to that single leaf will finish the plant.

Now I dont claim to be a scientist....but I did use this method with English Ivy and it worked. YMMV

:o)

Ronda

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 12:41AM
jody(7b - NC)

I got rid of it in Hixson by pulling and pulling and pulling and pulling. I finally got it down to two "roots", the mother plants and then worked on them with a weed stick. It took several seasons and a certain amount of obsession.

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 7:18AM
buford(7 NE GA)

Ditto. I've been fighting to reclaim my big hill from the junk that grew after the builders cleared it. I spend every winter pulling up every thorny viney invasive thing I don't want. I admit I let the honey suckle go a bit because I do like it, but I cut it back as soon as it blooms. Now that the pine trees we planted are taking over and shading everything, it's getting a bit better.

Frankly I'd rather have poison ivy than virginia creeper or these freaking brambles I have. It's easier to get rid of.

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
How Drought Tolerant Is Darlow's Enigma?
A couple of years ago, the phone company swooped in...
plectrudis (Zone 8b Central TX)
Thoughts on pruning? I'd love to see photos of your roses post-prune!
Hi all, I am gearing up for my first major pruning...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
Rosa Chinesis
I just found the name of this rose on a cottage garden...
alameda/zone 8
It´s all about pruning and training of those lanky roses
Many people like the roses Gertrude Jekyll (Austin)...
cupshaped_roses
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™