More Pictures, Naturally

ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)April 10, 2014

Well, you've all had your break but of course you knew it couldn't last. It's not exactly the spring flush yet, but I couldn't stay away from the camera and the garden now looks a little different, so maybe a few hardy souls will not have grown weary. At least the title will give you a hint of what's coming......

The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild

Unknown miniature rose

Bermuda Kathleen toughing it out

Lacey taking it easy

La France

William R. Smith beginning to bloom

Mlle. de Sombreuil

Mrs. B.R. Cant

My second Souvenir de la Malmaison struggling on the West Side

The dry garden

Part of the Back Garden

Mme. Dore

Ingrid

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AquaEyes 7a New Jersey

Beautiful!

Out of curiosity, is your 'Mme Dore' thornless? Mine (from Vintage Gardens) is, yet there's no mention of that characteristic on HelpMeFind. I don't know if it's just because mine is still young, or if it will remain so -- right now, the stems are completely smooth. And I can't find any in your pic.

:-)

~Christopher

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 11:03PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

How is your Young Lycidas doing?

Mine is loaded with fat blooms. I took this one today thinking of you

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 11:11PM
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Yay! More pictures of your garden. Can you see my happy dance? :-) Your posts are more fun than all the rose books in my library. Thank you for the tea rose fix. I have Mrs. BR Cant envy. Her blooms are positively voluptuous. The design of your garden is so lovely, Ingrid-- the layout, the materials and the color/texture composition of the plants. Everything is so soft and inviting. Your curved pathway is perfect. I hope you and your undergardener enjoy many romantic evenings on the deck. What a view you must have from there! Carol

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 1:29AM
Sow_what? Southern California Inland

Lovely juxtaposition of graceful lines on rugged terrain. Thanks for sharing your gardens; this is a nice way to wind down after a long, long day.

jannike

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 4:37AM
sammy zone 7 Tulsa

So pretty, Ingrid. It is such a joy to see your garden.
Sammy

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 5:56AM
Mendocino_Rose(z8 N CA.)

Everything is so beautiful Ingrid. That deck must be such a pleasant spot.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 8:51AM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Christopher, on your behalf I went out and groped Mme. Dore and she is not thornless, although the thorns are very small and most prominent on old wood. They are very sparse at best, and it would be interesting to know whether your specimen shows thorns in the future.

Carol, what can I say but thank you, thank you. You cause me to appreciate my garden more because your comments open my eyes to features I take for granted or don't really see any more.

Kippy, thank you for your picture of Young Lycidas. Your camera seems to capture the true color of the blooms whereas mine makes them seem more red. I did have a beautiful flower which fried pitifully on the day it was 94 degrees but I have about four buds now. This rose is growing very slowly for me.

jannike, I was caught unaware by the beauty of your first sentence. If my garden lives up to that description then I'll consider it a success. I still have too many small, young roses that I don't show in the pictures to make that a reality right now, but maybe by next year....

Thank you so much, Sammy and Pam. I'm grateful the deck is still there since one of our wildfires came close enough to burn the underside of it.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 12:27PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

As usual, I enjoyed the tour of your garden with the "rugged terrain" in the background and the contrasting straight-lined paths and patios. I always wish I could sit out there and just enjoy!

Kate

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 4:19PM
bellegallica_zone9(9)

Ingrid, great pictures, as usual.

What are the little white flowers that border the path in the back garden?

And what does Mme Dore smell like? Vintage describes it as "fruit and ginger."

That little unknown miniature sure is a trooper. It looks fantastic, covered in foliage and clusters of blooms.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 11:04PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Thank you Kate, it would be a pleasure to have you visit and talk about roses. Of course, then you'd spot all the "bad" parts of the garden that you'll never see in my pictures!

belle, the small white flowers are alyssum, which looks pretty during the cooler months and dries up when it heats up. I rip it up then and it always comes back again. I really don't know how to characterize the smell of Mme. Dore. In my dry weather it doesn't have a very strong smell and I'm not great with describing scents anyway. I do know it's nothing like the beery smell of SdlM.

Yes, the miniature is a trooper and even does quite well in the summer heat. I wish I knew its name.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 2:42AM
tuderte(USDA 9a equiv.)

Ingrid - your garden looks wonderful - I particularly love William R Smith an Mlle. de Sombreuil. I think I've become a 'tea rose lover' forever.

Thank you for posting your photos - I'm also very envious of your ability to post photos so effortlessly ;-)

Tricia

Bookmark   April 12, 2014 at 3:51AM
daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres

Ingrid I keep coming back to look at your photos again and again.
They are lovely.
By the way, my Young Lycidas is very slow growing too.
I have given it a decent amount of space, but that it what it still is...space.
Daisy

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 8:16AM
melissa_thefarm(NItaly)

You take nice photos, Ingrid: thanks for posting them. I wish I had such a camera artist to portray my garden.
Melissa

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 8:26AM
erasmus_gw

Lovely!

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 11:25AM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Tricia, I think the tea roses are just about my favorites, also - they grow so large and wild and free; they're so impressive and so very generous with their flowers. Wm. R. Smith seems the least tea-like with its stiff petals and thick canes, but the flowers are exquisite.

Daisy, when I see pictures of your garden I'm humbled and entranced. You are a true gardener, and on top of that to have a view of the ocean makes your garden a paradise. Still, to make something out of my patch of desiccated, rocky desert and have you admire it is very satisfying indeed.

Melissa, your comment struck me deeply. I cannot tell you how many times after one of your lyrical descriptions I wanted nothing more than to be in your garden and celebrate it in a thousand pictures. It's a garden that is imbued with your character and personality, a difficult garden where you and your husband have had to break your backs to bring it to life. It's not finished and it may never be since there's so much land, but what a photographic opportunity it would be for someone who loves gardens and old roses.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 9:10PM
zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)

Thank you for a nice treat---I love the brick path----
Florence

Bookmark   April 14, 2014 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
David Austin Backlash... Well post your FAV Austin Pic here.
There seems to be some recent backlash on austin roses,...
silverkelt
Thoughts on pruning? I'd love to see photos of your roses post-prune!
Hi all, I am gearing up for my first major pruning...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
Are There Any Roses You Regret Buying?
I've already discarded many dozens so I'd better not...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Rosa Chinesis
I just found the name of this rose on a cottage garden...
alameda/zone 8
Companion plants for roses in drought-stricken California
Hi everyone! I have a small cottage garden in drought-stricken...
rathersmallbunny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™