Two Austins and a Tea Rose

ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)April 15, 2014

I've mentioned before how much I like one of the early Austins, Potter and Moore, and the most recent Austin I have, Young Lycidas, has begun to bloom this spring. Rosette Delizy, one of my easiest tea roses, is blooming quite well right now, and I thought anyone who hasn't seen these roses might find these pictures of interest.

Potter and Moore - A small Austin beginning to bloom

Two beautiful blooms of Potter and Moore

Young Lycidas

Rosette Delizy - the bush

Some lovely blooms

Ingrid

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Ingrid, whenever I see that little camera symbol next to your title, I always click on the post! Lovely, lovely roses. Your Rosette Delizy is gorgeous! I think your plant is one of the fullest--foliage-wise and bloom-wise--that I've seen. Her coloring is exquisite. I've never grown the two Austins in your photos. I wonder how they fare in my climate. Our gardening situations are nearly polar opposites, but amazingly some roses are flexible enough to thrive in both. Those close-ups of Rosette remind me how much I adore tea roses. I could just gobble her up like so much cake and frosting! Carol

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 2:26AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Yes, I enjoyed viewing them. I'm not very familiar with any of those roses--so lovely!

Kate

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:13PM
tuderte(USDA 9a equiv.)

Really beautiful images Ingrid - I'd not heard of Potter and More before your post. The blooms are all lovely, however, I cannot resist Rosette Delizy - according to your description, it is everything I love in a rose.

May I ask how old is you bush of Rosette Delizy and what is the perfume like?

Tricia

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 12:58PM
Sow_what? Southern California Inland

Simply beautiful.

jannike

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 3:40PM
Krista_5NY

Beautiful blooms, Ingrid. I planted Young Lycidas last spring, I love the blooms. I'll be interested to see how it does this year.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:21PM
seil zone 6b MI

They're all beauties, Ingrid!

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 7:17PM
poorbutroserich(Nashville 7a)

What Carol said! Love your photos (and your roses) and I'm so glad you share!
Susan

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 8:48PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments. There couldn't be a nicer and more appreciative group of people.

Tricia, Rosette Delizy is somewhere between four and five years old. Alas, my nose can detect very little fragrance in any of the teas except Duchesse de Brabant and its sport Mme. Joseph Schwartz, and for me RD has no fragrance. Perhaps someone else who has this rose can detect some.

Krista, it took at least a year for my Young Lycidas to get going even though I bought it bareroot from Austin. With your amount of rain and surely better soil I would think yours will grow and bloom much more quickly than mine. Some of the blooms were fried today and it wasn't more than 80 degrees so that doesn't bode well for my specimen in the summer. I do love the color and the look of the blooms, though. The bush is spindly and small. My biggest, really huge mistake was not amending the soil when we first made a garden. Garden in haste and repent at leisure - it's been my mantra for years.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 10:52PM
daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres

" the bush is spindly and small"

It sounds as though your Young Lycidas is behaving exactly the same as mine, Ingrid.
If you remember, we both bought them at the same time and I said then that we would have to compare notes.
Mine is also spindly and small, although I have hopes that it will get it's act together this year.
I put a load of donkey manure round it during the winter and I can see a few new basals coming.
It has some greenfly at present. The resident pair of chiffchaffs which normally work through all the roses, clearing the aphids for me, haven't turned up this year. So I will have to rub them off myself.
Daisy

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 2:51AM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Daisy, can you please send some donkey manure in the post? It sounds as though YL is quite fond of it. I'm doing rabbit droppings but there's only so much from the few wild rabbits that frequent the one area that's flat and accessible. I'm glad your YL is doing well, but then I haven't been able to spot a single rose in your pictures that isn't bursting with health and blooms. Is donkey manure mainly what you use as fertilizer or compost?

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 17, 2014 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Rain!
For those of us in drought-stricken areas of California,...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Tell me about the Noisette rose La Biche 1832
I obtained a beautiful 5 gal plant of the old Noisette...
fogrose
Duchesse de Brabant: Evaluation and Photos
Accidentally put this on the "Roses Forum"...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Aphids have found my roses...
I guess you never find just one aphid... I just spent...
vmr423
Proliferated roses and the fashion runway
Lots of fashions featuring red (HT) roses by Dolce...
stillanntn6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™