Milkmaid

jaspermplantsMay 31, 2014

I purchased Milkmaid from Vintage this past winter and planted in the ground, as band. The plant has taken off like crazy; I've never seen a band grow so quickly. It is planted near a trellis and the canes are 4 to 5 feet long. Also, there are numerous canes growing,. This is going to be a big one, that's for sure. It is funny how some roses just explode in growth and others creep along. Don't think I've planted a band that has grown this vigorous so quickly.

Any experiences with Milkmaid you'd like to share. I know it is not a common rose.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
muscovyduckling

Wow. I just about fell off my chair when I saw someone in Arizona posting about Milkmaid. This rose is very uncommon, even here is Australia.

It's my favourite Alister Clark rose, but I don't grow it because it gets massive. Really really massive. I ordered Lorraine Lee this year instead (probably his most popular rose, because it flowers in winter).

Congratulations on your purchase of a fantastic rose. I hope you get some more helpful responses.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 1:57AM
new_garden(7)

I bought it as well, it's still it in the pot and it's still the same size as when I got it. Please tell me the climate, soil conditions, etc...

How often does it bloom? I have 8 acres so placement isn't a problem, I have room, but it will need the right spot.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 7:38AM
jaspermplants

New garden, I'm in Arizona, so very hot and dry. I planted it this winter, probably January (I'm not a very good record keeper). It is planted in my clay soil, amended with organic material. It gets morning sun and mostly afternoon shade. It bloomed this spring but none since. I think it is a once bloomer?

Hope,this helps.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 5:26PM
new_garden(7)

I just looked at mine and it's starting to get new growth.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 7:20PM
muscovyduckling

It is, apparently, a repeat flowering rose. But it may need some time to develop. One of its parents was Crepuscule, which is a prolific bloomer here, so it should show some repeat eventually. In one of our rose gardens in Victoria, Australia it gets full sun and seems to handle it fine. I think the soil there is heavily amended acidic clay. I don't know if that rose is grafted or not - but it is most likely grafted, being that it is Australia. I don't know about winter hardiness, sorry.

Fragrance is described as 'milk and honey'. It seems to be relatively prostrate in growth habit if not trained on a support, so it would be great for scrambling down a slope. It's fairly think and bushy, and will easily get to 14' high and 8' wide with support or something to climb on.

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 11:27PM
JoshTx(8a)

This makes me both sad and happy at the same time. Mine was lost to the cold this winter, and I am still mourning the loss. I'm pleased to hear yours is doing so well now though! Please post pictures!

Josh

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 7:00PM
new_garden(7)

I'm not far, once mine takes off I'll try rooting some Josh.

Bookmark   June 1, 2014 at 7:19PM
poorbutroserich(Nashville 7a)

Hello. Anyone getting repeat bloom on Milkmaid? She is so vigorous and beautiful. If she doesn't repeat I just can't keep her.
Susan

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 11:42AM
comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)

I haven't grown her, but I have only ever heard of her as being once-flowering. Alister Clark's main aim in his breeding programme was for heat-tolerance, to suit Australian conditions, so perhaps it struggles in the cold?

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 4:32PM
poorbutroserich(Nashville 7a)

Thanks Comtesseâ¦.I found an Old Rose Advisor on GoogleBooks. It is once blooming.
I'm thinking I will send it up a treeâ¦.It's just too pretty to part with!
However, I went out today to find that it has been viciously attacked by mites! I hope I can save it. It's so vigorous surely it can fight them off but they really have damaged the plant severely.
Susan

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
If you discovered RRD infected canes in your rosebushes...
and you could find no sourcepoints for the infection...
sujiwan_gw
Canker questions
I was helping out at San Juan Bautista the other day,...
jill_perry_gw
Gardens near Paris
Hi, I will be visiting Paris, France for the first...
Kristin Rothwell
David Austin Backlash... Well post your FAV Austin Pic here.
There seems to be some recent backlash on austin roses,...
silverkelt
I'm back!
Couldn't get confirmed onto this new system so created...
cemeteryroseanita
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™